Micro-Nikkor 55 f/2.8 + PB-4 bellow !

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Dec 21, 2005.

1. I just received a Nikkor 55 mm. f/2.8 AIS "micro" that i "won" on E-bay and had a try...

The lens itself goes only to 0.5:1, so "half life-size" on the CCD, but it's a jewel...

The first photo has been shot with the lens on-camera. The RED rectangle shows the part that have been focused on to take the last two pics.

53816515.Half_size.

Then i put the camera on my PB-4 bellow, wich i extended to the maximum, and put the lens on, normally.

53816517.Normal_on_bellow.

Lastly, i just screwed a BR-2A reversing ring on the filter thread of the lens, and then put the reversed lens on the bellow (still extended to the maximum). Of course i had to re-focus.

53816520.Reversed_on_bellow.

All the pics are all UNCROPPED, that is "full frame", and only resized for Web !

I beleive that, with the lens reversed and the bellow fully extended, one must reach about 4:1... of course, it needs a lot of light, but all three shots have been taken at 1:125 @ f/8, with two flashes (one on each side, plus the camera's built-in one to trigger them) !

...now i only have to find some very small and interesting subjects to shoot !

Cheers,
    J-P.

2. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Ohhh... I feel LLD again. Or maybe it's BLD.

How do you like the PB-4 bellows? The results are impressive.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Reversing the lens for true macro work is the proper way to go. Just remember the very increased danger of image flare, since the lens captures a much wider field that that recorded onto the imager. A tip can be to attach a makeshift "lens" hood by drilling a hole in a rear lens cap and putting that on the reversed lens.

4. Ye gods, I need to get me a bellows! :D

Ming

5. Hi ! i like the bellow, but as the PB-4 also have TILT and SHIFT possibility, i haven't yet discovered how to use it "properly"...

...on the other side, the most dificult is to find SUBJECTS small enough and with interesting enough shape or colors to make good image: i wish i could hold a fly and shoot only it's EYE, but it's not the season...

Cheers,
    J-P.

6. That's a good tip, Bjorn... i'll try it with and without, to see if it does improve the quality...

Cheers,
    J-P.

7. Interesting images. The DOF does get razor thin as you crank the PB-4 out. Well done.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Not to make you people envious, but if you think PB-4 is the way to go, consider this alternative,

3821001-lg.

I have actually two of these units, one of which is set up for 4x5" photography.

9. My gosh Bjorn, that is amazing. Have you ever done any crystalyn shots on glass slides using two polarizers to block out all light except refracted? My favorite when I was doing that sort of thing was acetaminophen.

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Sure. With ice crystals and other stuff.

11. Not quite what I was talking about. These crystalline shots were done using a drop of alcohol with dissolved chemicals in it, sandwiched between two glass slides. The chemical is allowed to dry and crystallize and then the slides are illuminated from below. The two polarizers are then used to block out all but refracted light. The colors are amazing in these crystalline shots but you need a bellows for the extreme close up necessary. As I mentioned, acetaminophen always seemed to make some of the most beautiful images although vitamin C and some other medications worked as well.

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

As I said, done exactly this. With ice and other crystals. Sandwiched between two polarizers, the entire sandwich illuminated from one side.

Rotating the polarizers will give amazing colours with any material having birefringence.

13. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Anyone compare the Nikon & Novoflex bellows? The Novoflex is much more expensive. (~3x)

14. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    That is a nice demonstration of the 55/2.8 micro. Thanks everyone for a fascinating thread. It is almost a DIY guide to true macro photography.