Microsoft.... AAARRRRGH!

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by billg71, Jun 19, 2007.

1. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Since this is more a rant(Warning! Soapbox Alert!!!) than a question or offering of advice, I decided to post this here rather than in the Tech Discussions forum. Mods, feel free to move it if you think it's more appropriate there.

I don't go off on MS often, I figure anyone with umpteen kajillion published lines of code deserves a little slack but this Windows Update thing just hacks me off and it happens once a month! And I just had my monthly(apologies, ladies...):frown:

Just a couple of weeks ago, I built a new computer. Since I was keeping my old one in service, I was a good boy and bought a brand-new copy of XP Pro, SP2, OEM version. Figured since my old copy was 4 years old, I'd save myself some time downloading updates and running the SP2 update from the hard drive. Installed the software and off to Windows Update for a couple of the most recent updates(or so I thought)....

After updating the Update software:confused: and downloading the latest Genuine Advantage tool(whose advantage is this supposed to be for, anyway?), I finally got to the Updates page and found out I needed 83 Critical Updates! After an hour or so and 3 or 4 reboots, I finally had an up-to-date XP Pro installation. Glad that's over!

So, tonite I decided to go in for my monthly check-up. Ran CCleaner, RegRepair, Disc Cleaner, defragged, rebooted, went into Services and enabled and started Automatic Updates and I'm off to the WU site. (by the way, why does the "Automatic Updates" service have to be running to manually update Windows? :confused: )

Do I get my updates? well, first I have to update the Update software again :confused: ..... Then I have to update the Genuine Advantage software again :actions1:.... Then I get to the Update site and download my updates(except for the Outlook Express update since I don't run OE, then I get a message to reboot and 2 of the updates didn't get installed, so I reboot, back to the WU site and get prompted to install the OE update again(I had forgotten to check the "Hide this Update" box. Somewhere along the line, I had to install a new ActiveX control, which I OK'd by clicking on the IE7 bar at the top of the screen, then I got prompted again to ask if I really, really wanted to install the AX control, etc., ad nauseum......:Dizzy:

Now I have to go back, run all the cleaners, defrag, etc. again just to clean up the mess WU left behind, turn off the AU service so I won't have that annoying little balloon pop up on the task bar every time I restart my computer, and reboot again....

Like I said, AAAARRRGH!!!!! :mad::mad: Why in the world does something that could be so simple have to be made so freaking complicated? :actions1::actions1::actions1:

I swear to All That Is Holy, this is absolutely the ever-loving LAST Windows machine I'll ever own!

I'm climbing off the box now, my thanx to all of you for listening.

Bill

2. Bill

Feel better? :wink:

OK, I just built a new uber XP Pro machine also. I was a bit surprised by the # of updates also. Had to do a similar multi-boot/update process as you mentioned.

Sorry for your problems. Perhaps your "reg cleaner" jacked up the updates. ??? That's what I would suspect.

Regards
    JohnG

3. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Johnny,

Yes, I fell better, thanks! Nothing like a good rant and a Crown and ginger to calm the nerves.....:biggrin:

I don't think Registry Repair had anything to do with the update thing, it's pretty much a regular pain and has been for who knows how long. Great program, I've been using it in the old machine for a year or so with no problems. Google it up, it's shareware and well worth the $30.00.

Well, it's over for this month and I've got another 3 or 4 weeks to get ready for the next round.... :Crunk:

Bill

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I wish I could afford to move to MAC myself

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I find ccleaner to do a really good job and not muk with the registry...unless you set it to:>))))) I dont

6. jcovert

jcovert Guest

As much as I despise Mac (long-time mac user here, but gave up the Koolaid a while ago), when I read stories like this I think "how can people afford NOT to have Macs?". The OP in this case knows his stuff, but I've seen many lesser Windows users who would deal with these problems like a dear in headlights. I can't believe anyone would endure that computing experience. It's enough of a PITA on a Mac! I can't imagine...

7. Reading this, I reached over and gave my Mac another loving pat.... I switched back in October 2005 and you can bet I'll never return to Windows! I suspect things are only going to get worse there before they maybe, possibly, get a little better....

8. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    " http://blahblahblah.info/2007/05/23/windows-update/ " ROFLMAO!!! I love it! :505: Thanx, RaceBug!

tomTom, as I said, I've not had a problem with either of the cleaners but WU has been behaving badly ever since I first used it. Add in the "Genuine Advantage" tool and it's all just become a royal PITA that must be endured.... But I don't have to like it!

Thanx to all for the commiseration,

Bill

9. Why ANYONE would subject themselves to that much aggravation escapes me.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Woody :

One simple answer - business. For all of the Boot Camps and Parallels, there are a scad of Windows specific software packages that have copy protection that doesn't register correctly on Macs. My business is such that I have to work within the environment of my customers, and Macs simply aren't in use at the big companies, and if then, only in an art/publications department. Macs are less than 5% of personal computers in the US, and significantly less in the serious business sector.

If I didn't run Windows machines, I simply couldn't continue in business.

Nothing personal for all the Mac fans, but the computer's simply not acceptable for the mainstream of business in the US.

John P.

11. HAC_X

HAC_X Guest

The registry is a problem MS will eventually be getting away from. All started in Win'95 with COM (Common Objetc Model). Before that applications and other key settings were stored in .INI files. They were replaced with the REGISTY a colossal non-relational database whose three principal files became the easiest targets for the first network incursion attempts. Besides, as more and more applications are installed in Windows, the Registry has historically been the culprit for making everything slower and slower over time.
    Biggest culprits are the folks who compile isnatllation packages for XP that don't follow (or understand) the way you have to do a proper un-install..
    They leave behind "footprints", bits in the registry, files, sometimes entire directory structures.
    Registry cleaners (MS had one, but dropped it) are both good and bad.. In my opinion, they can cause more damage than good, especially in those registry entries that use a system generated hash as a key.
    Personally, I don't have XP problems, but I tend to keep my system clean, and only install apps that I have tested or that I know will "play nice"
    Once I get my system configured and running, I "ghost" it to a recovery partition (and DVD), updating that base image as needed. Data gets covered by daily/weekly backups to an external drive and DVD.
    If my system did become corrupted to the point of inoperability, I boot from my recovery media, and restore my entire system to its last good config.
    Typically all I would lose would be anything not backed up, and thats a day at most.

MS will eventually be doing away with the resgistry, probably in the OS after Vista , if possible. Biggest issue is getting a solution for backwards compatibility for those apps that depend on the registry.
    I just got yesterday the MS "direction roadmap" document for their OS/application vision out past 2010. Still going through it, but its very intersting so far..

Cheers
    Harold

Ps.. my current XP pet project is running a proxy configuration file and a "black hole" server...purpose? Eliminate ads in web surfing. So far, pretty good..

12. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    "Why ANYONE would subject themselves to that much aggravation escapes me."

Woody, that's EXACTLY the question I've been asking myself monthly for the last 4 years.....

To be fair, I could just turn on Automatic Update and let Windows do whatever it sees fit when I'm not looking. But I like to know what's going on in my system, what's getting added and why. Not to mention adding upgrades I don't need to software I don't use or even have installed. I've had major problems with Windows updates for hardware, uninstalling new drivers in favor of old ones just because the new ones haven't been "Certified" yet. I've gotten to the point I won't even install MS hardware updates, period.

The main reason I've hung onto Windows has been that I have a pretty hefty investment in software and some programs like AutoCAD and proprietary engineering programs that aren't available for a Mac. But I'm beginning to think I just need to run 2 systems....

My Windows systems run well with very few problems but I spend a fair amount of time on maintenance for the privilege. Seems like there ought to be a better way....

Just my humble $.02/worth,

Bill

13. That's odd, I just retired from one of the largest news organizations in the United States and all we used were Macs.

It may not be acceptable for you, but that statement doesn't hold true for mainstream business.

14. Being that Windows is the most popular OS on the planet means that is the most often attacked. The same goes for when you update your dat files. I remember the day when they were only a few hundred kb large. The sdat we downloaded at work the other day was 22MB's!!

As far as Mac goes that last "security update" we downloaded was over 50MB's. They may not release them as often as Microsoft does but I'm sure that update contained dozens if not hundreds of little updates that needed to be applied.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Woody :

Heh. I work with refining companies, chemical/petrochemical firms, pharmaceuticals, major food companies... well, you get the idea. I'm commenting on experience with some of the largest corporations in the nation and the world. The statistics on this don't lie - Apple/Macs have been a marginal computer choice in business for some time, at least from a market percentage level, something under 3% worldwide (MacUser Article) although there are fluctuations.

That's not intended as a provocation, Woody, just a commentary of the facts. I actually like Macs immensely, but they're just not an option for most business users.

John P.

16. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I'm a software engineer. I used Mac for 10+ years and loved it. Then I switched to Windows for professional reasons, and loathed every login. Now after another 10+ years, I've switched back to Mac. I've gone from perpetually cranky to happy, and am re-learning how it can actually be fun to use a computer. Windows always gets in my way. Mac always helps me get on my way.

Of the systems I've used one is the poorest excuse for an operating system I've ever had the misfortune to use, and I am not talking about Mac OS, nor Linux, nor HP-UX, nor AIX, nor Sun Solaris.

17. Serrator

Serrator

Aug 1, 2006
    Missouri

I was a Mac nut from the ~86 to 1996. My nickname at work was "FreddieMac".:)

Then P&G (Babycare..Pampers/Luvs) decided to move away from the dual platforms and went with the Windows world. I hated it at first, but once I took on the PC platform it was the right decision. Mac's at that time didn't have the horsepower as compared to their lower cost and much faster PC brethren. Not to mention the lack of software availability. I am in the engineering field and Autocad sucked big time on a Mac at that time. The only program that Mac had going for it during those years for me was Photoshop...well now that has been brought to the PC world thankfully.

Now today...we are still using PC's.
    The main program we use now is Solid Edge 3D modelling for our engineering models and drawings. In the engineering realm Mac's just don't have near the support of 3rd party softwares to the extent that PC's do...not even close. My experience with PC's has been great, I literally leave my workstation on for months without any issues.

Now that the newer Mac's have adopted the Intel chip and moved away from the PowerPC I would expect they have increased their speed to better match...perhaps surpass PC's in speed?

18. Well, I've lost my affection for microsoft too! It seems now when we buy a computer, all the softwares that come with it are actually just "trial" or partials. I HATE THAT! I hope my next puter will be a mac! Since I"m not exactly technically inclined, I'll stop here, but believe me, I'm not happy with microsoft - they have too many "gliches"

19. joyce

joyce Guest

I use both; Windows allow you more control, esp. for technical niches, while Macs are kind of like a Fisher-Price approach to personal computers - very sleek and refined but with limitations.