Microsoft Raw Viewer and D-Lighting

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Nov 23, 2005.

1. I occassionally use the Microsoft Raw Image Viewer but, I have noticed that if I use NC and D-Lighting on an image that Image Viewer cannot display the picture. Anybody know why that is? What does D-Lighting do to an image that the viewer cannot display the image anymore?

2. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Here's a guess (and I bet I'm close): D-Lighting and NC are probably stripping the embedded, low-res preview image that I think is the only method of giving you any kind of image preview is associated with a given file. I think that once it's gone, it's gone. I've got no experience with D-Lighting, but I think this is true with Capture.

That's an educated guess based on what I've read about viewers and the like. Programs like ACDSee interpret your NEF's (which is why they don't display immedately). Windows does something similar and stores the images in a file named "Thumbs.db" (I think) in the source directory (they do that to speed up directory browsing).

Anyway, I think that's close to correct...

3. Hmmm - Interesting.

I wonder why D-Lighting and NC would do that? Also one D-Lighting is used MS Image Preview as well as Microsoft Photo Browswer will not work. I have not checked to see if there is a newer version of the Image browser. I guess I should check to see if a newer is available.

Thanks for the response.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nikon software "adjusts" the NEF file by writing an instruction set into the file as a new layer, so the file becomes multi-layered. Most likely other software cannot handle this properly.

5. Thanks Bjorn.

I guess that makes sense. I thought Microsoft and Nikon were trying to work together. You would think that Microsoft would make there viewer so that it could intrepret a Nikon NEF file correctly. But, that would be expecting way too much I suppose. No biggie....