1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Microtek Artix M1 Impressions

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Salty Dog, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Guest

I have been researching scanners for several weeks now and am interested in the Microtek M1. I have read positive and negative feedback on this machine and would value your hands-on evaluation/opinions.

Here are my scanning needs: 35 mm slides and film (B&W + Color), a few old 120 negatives, and many old prints (some need repair after scanning).

Thanks.

2. I'm on the same boat looking at the same scanner.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    If image quality is not a concern, this scanner will do the job well.

4. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Guest

COTDT: Thanks for the input. By the specs (4800 dpi, 48 bits/pixel, 16 bits output/channel, 4.4 Dmax) it looks like the machine has the capability to produce excellent results.

Is the issue that these specs are overstated? Or doesn't the machine actually have the capability to deliver? Do you own one or have you used one?

Thanks,

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    My friend has this scanner, and he is an expert on scanners since he is a film shooter. The actual specs are about 2300 dpi, 2.6 Dmax. Myself, I went for a dedicated medium format film scanner that actually lives up to the specs of 4000 dpi.

6. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Guest

Thanks, COTDT. I appreciate your input. Which unit did you end up buying?

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The Coolscan 9000 is a dedicated medium format film scanner that has excellent results. I have it's 35mm little brother the 5000, and it does indeed have a 4000 dpi resolution. I also have a Microtek (i800) which promises a 4800 dpi scan. When scanned dry in the supplied holders, I can see about 3200 dpi.

8. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Guest

Thanks for the hands-on feedback, Chris. I really appreciate it.

I intend to scan to CD or DVD for preservation (not for printing), so would the 3200 dpi be good enough for me to capture the images?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.