Mid-Ohio Rolex Series 6/24-25

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by BullittMan, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Almost straight from camera, only minor tweaking. First time shooting motor sports, and with the week old D50.

DSC_1158.

DSC_1043.

DSC_0955.

2. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Good captures, I see you have found two of the best locations: entering the Keyhole and the inside of the Carousel! Good job for your first time out!

3. nice images, any shots of the GAINSCO car

4. Nice shots Bullitt - I love Mid-Ohio and race cars of all kinds and you captured both well. How did you get that shot coming up the hill? - thru a photo slot with photo credentials? Is it the keyhole or near the end of the esses from the outside?

Is there a way/location to get good shots entering the keyhole without photo credentials? Can you get high up on the hill with a long lens and shoot over the top of the fence? There seems to be such a big gap between the spectator fence and the catch fence that I don't know how to get the catch fence to disappear. :frown:

Planning to go for the ALMS/IRL weekend but don't know how to get photo credentials and really struggle with all the fences.

Thanks for any tips!

5. For photo credentials stuff go to http://midohio.com/ and click on the Media tab and go from there. Just fyi the deadline has already passed for the ALMS weekend.

Yes I shot through a photographer's hole in the catch fence to get that hill one. It is possible to get some decent shots from the top of the spectator hill that is by the second bridge, though you will need a long lens and some kind of support. I have a pretty light weight aluminum tripod with a ball head, so I was able to just extend one of the legs all the way down and use it as a monopod.

There are a few little places to get good shots with no fence. One (obviously if you've ever been to mid-ohio) being at the end of the longest straight tucked right into the corner. You can catch some exciting passing and the occasional spinout (See photos 4 and 5 down in this post).
    Also a favorite is right next to the first bridge on the infield side. You can catch the cars rolling their weight from one side no another as they go through that string of turns (See blue BMW photo in this post). What I did was go to the mid-ohio website and take a screen shot of the track map, then looked at aerial photos and made myself a little plan of where some good spots might be. Then i just got there early while other races were being held that i didn't have much interest in and scouted out the spots i marked on my map.
    Sounds like a lot more work than it really was, and it really paid off since walking around the infield searching for a good spot can really eat up your time and energy.

I'm also planning to go down to the ALMS, but only on Friday for some of the qualifying unfortunately, have other plans for the rest of the weekend.

Thanks for the comments folks! Here's a few more if interested (including the GAINSCO car for seafox):

DSC_1427.

DSC_1425.

DSC_0653.

DSC_1869.

DSC_1897.

DSC_1183.

DSC_1311.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  6. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Nice Shots!
    I think you did an excellent job.

I was at Lime Rock last weekend for the ALMS race. What a blast!
    And yes, it certainly pays off to scope out your spots before things
    get busy.

How far are you from that track? Do you get there often?

7. I live about an hour and a half north of the track, all freeway driving though so it goes quick. I have been there 2 other times in the past for this same race. My father's company is a sponsor of the Team Sahlen cars so we get complimentary tickets every year. I do want to head down there for other races though, like the ALMS coming up.

8. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Be sure to check out the NASA Championships in September! (I won't be competing this year - next year for sure!) A real bunch of die-hard racers that put on on heck of a grass-roots show!

www.nasaproracing.com
    www.nasachampionships.com

9. That looks pretty cool, I'll be in Antigua during that weekend, next year for sure!
    One thing I've learned is that the most exciting racing doesn't have to be the super high performance cars, people who race hard and with passion put on the best show for the fans!

10. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Great shots BullitMan. You captured the action pretty well.
    You and I have about the same equipment, and I am like 10 minutes from Akron also.

11. Thanks for sharing those shots of the Gainsco car. here's a couple of mine from the Homestead race.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post a shot of my company car tomorrow.
    Thanks again