Mid-range sports lens for D90

Folks,

I was recently asked by another parent to help her find a decent lens for her D90 to help her get better shots of her two sons HS sports. One plays baseball, the other soccer and tennis.

I would consider her in the "advanced beginner" range. I think she is currently using the kit 18-105.

I was hoping to get some high-end, middle, and low-end recommendations, since there are some new Nikon lenses out there now that I know nothing about, such as the 80-400 and the 70-200 f4.

I know she really likes the results I get shooting soccer with a D300 and 300 f2.8, but I don't think she would want to spend quite that much.

Thanks in advance,

Real Name
Randy
it's zooms vs primes
care about backgrounds or not

zooms and care about BG: 70-200 2.8
zooms and don't care: 80-400afs
inbetween 70-200/4

primes and care: 300vr
inbetween 300/4

I'm guessing she will be happier with a zoom so I'm thinking the 70-200/4 is her best option

What Randy suggested was pretty well spot on, but if they are still slightly out of her price range, I'd suggest either Nikon 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 VRII or a used 80-200 f/2.8 (although this may be a little short in FL)...
I've had the 70-300 VRII lens for about 2 years and believe you can get great action shots & good IQ from it...

Here is a LINK to some of Chris Fabbri's photos of sports cars in action...
For the price, it's a great lens, and she'll always get her money back when she updates to one of those that Randy suggested...

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom