1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Midday Light, who Cares! lots pics

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Couldn't get out for the good am light today (driving daughter duties, or as I call it Driving Miss Kristin, :biggrin:)  but I went out anyway because it had been a few weeks since the last bird outing. I also had to leave by 3 pm, so here are the midday shots, goes to show you never know what you are going to see!

All shots handheld, no tripod with the 200-400 and 1.4 attached all the time. Most of the shots at 550mm.

First up was the killdeer, not the best I have shot, but the bird cooperated for me when I got out of the car and sat down,

[​IMG]

Next I shot some of those tiny birds, and I didn't even have to go into my backyard, I could do it along the river here!

A large billed Kingbird, (here in the midwest we have several different color and bill sizes on our birds) first the usual coloration with a larger bill and then next shot was a different one with a bit more brown/grey, at least the audubon types tell me that is the variance we have here in the midwest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I had to stop in the road, because of this thing, Yes, I know this isn't a bird, but I was out birding....:wink:

[​IMG]

Further along in my travels, this Dowitcher was out and about along with a Sandpiper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the big white birds in bright sun.....yikes, One thing I will say that I found the D200 is easier to hold highlights with than the D2Xs. hopefully will get better with several thousand more actuations, interesting how different bodies behave differently with metering and WB.

Egrets and snows, they were gathered up and roosting and preening, most a long way away, a few closer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way out, I took some flower and sunflower shots:

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/Birds Static/_D2X1707Flower.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/.Pictures/NatureFlora/Sunflower2.JPG

As I was leaving the area and the sunflowers, I felt like someone was watching me, observing me, and I spied this Grackle way off in the distance eyeballing me as if to say, get out of there. Left the shot full frame to show the hole I was shooting through.

[​IMG]

thanks for looking,

Wade

2. Great series Wade

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like you a pretty satisfying day for sure Wade. Well done. :smile:

4. Beautiful set Wade. The midday light didn't hinder this shots a bit.

5. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Not only your pictures are amazing, but also your strong arm. Two shots of kingbird are super.

6. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Nice series.

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Gary, much appreciated

Yep, wasn't working, had the camera in hand, plus the heat had broke too, high in mid 80's with a breeze and 50% humidity, a far cry from a few days ago....

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I am pretty used to holding the lens, had a few years of practice, however, I do once in a while have an agravated tennis elbow type injury wich after a long long day gets a bit sore, which I call, teleElbow!

Yes, I have to remind myself sometimes that while the light is important, sometimes it is more important to get out and shoot! Ended up bagging my first Dowitcher keeper, a good kingbird shot, and some different light Sandpipers so it was a good day.

9. Very nice Wade!

Anthony

10. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Nice series pal,won't be long and you will have that D2Xs down pat.We have had a couple of nice days to get out and do some shooting,your kingbird shots are really nice.Maybe this weekend we can give it a try:smile:

11. Well done once again. These shots really don't suffer at all from the mid day light. I find often that when shooting digital you can compensate for the mid day shadows much easier. Great images here.

12. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks so much Jim

thanks Anthony,

13. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, I will be out of town again, for another weekend trip with the family, so go shoot some birds for me. I hear they are drawing horsehoe lake down, and the shots above were on the way to the confluence point, there is finally water in the low areas.

Wade

Thanks James, Yep, but takes a bit of processing, the last three shots I had to use quite a bit of shadow recovery in NX, also on the second kingbird shot too.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.