Middle Linebacker

Discussion in 'People' started by eng45ine, Nov 27, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Papa85 (Tony) spent the afternoon at my home last Friday and showed me how to create this type of image. I am curious what you might think of the concept. The image was shot with a D2H and Nikkor 300mm f/2.8. I surrounded the player using the magnetic tool, inversed, desaturated all but the player, deselected...done. I probably could have blurred the background a bit, but I didn't want to do too much of a good thing. Honest critiques appreciated.

2. Wow, that is way cool Frank! It further enhances what that wonderful 300 / f:2.8 can produce.

3. Frank there is an easier way to do this which is to use the history brush to paint back the color and it looks more original.

Nice picture too.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Melissa, I have Scott Kelby's book...I'll have to do some reading. Thanks for the tip! :smile:

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice job of PP Frank...
    I need to spend some more time learning photoshop ....

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Frits...I really enjoy my gear...I'm hoping to learn more about what it can actually do.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Dave. Papa85 showed me how to do this type of processing, this image took only a few minutes. I think I like it, just wondering what you all thought about it. Thanks for commenting.

8. Frank

That looks fantastic.

If I was the MLB's parents I would be buying one of those.

Russ

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much, Russ. I appreciate the very kind words.

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Love it!! Very cool.

Don

11. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Frank,

I like it a lot and if he was my kid I would be buying a print as Russ said.

I do wonder though what it would look like if there was less desaturation applied. To me the total removal of background color makes it look as if he is posing in front of an old poster rather than actually playing in a game.

Where do I send my 2 cents?

Gene A.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    And I appreciate your 2 cents, Gene. This was the first time that I have processed an image this way...so let the experimenting begin. I could have desaturated it less, but blurred it slightly, etc., but I liked how it looked and thought to save it and print it. I plan to do another and will try something a little different...maybe less saturation, maybe some blur, maybe whatever else Photoshop has to offer. All that I know is that I had a ball doing it and hope to enjoy the future projects.

Your pennies are certainly appreciated!!!

13. It looks great, Frank.

I'm sure the player and his parents will be thrilled with it.

Glenn

14. Funny thing about photoshop...there's more than 1 way to skin a cat. The technique you described and used sounds wonderfully simple and effective. Overall, I like the effect. Like Melissa mentioned, I've used that technique along with layer masks. Some people don't like masks but they're really rather simple and provide you with great control. In the end, whatever works! I like your result!!

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wonderful

I love the way it makes the player stand out. Your job making the selection is just great. Now lets see you do it on a person without a helmet, and then teach me how!!!

16. Yes i do the same way Melissa. But i was amazed that he said that he did it with a magnetic lasso tool. Because it isn't easy with that tool for me and he did great job.

So nice shot and great post processing.

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Tony taught me how to do this with the magnetic lasso tool and it seemd to work pretty darned easily. I followed around the player as best that I could, once I had completed the revolution, I went up to select> inverse, then went to Image> adjustments> desaturate, then back to select> deselect. The I switched to the cloning tool and zoomed in on the image and cleaned up the edges. Melissa advised that a similar, but easier way to accomplish this, is to use the history brush. I have to read up on how to do this, especially if it is easier...but the way that Papa Tony taught me sure was gratifying when it was completed.

18. papa85

papa85 Guest

Great Student

Frank is a very good student:biggrin: , Show him once and he's got it. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of Franks creations. I unlashed a giant. He is a natural. I figure in about a month or so I will be getting lessons from Frank.:Shocked:

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Tony...you are much too kind, but I am having a great time playing around with various images since we got together for a tutoring session. Here's an image that too only 10 minutes, if I would have spent longer, it would have only turned out better.

20. Wow

Can't wait to be able to get my grandson in a shot like that!