Middle school girls soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Chris_B, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I saw a game today while driving and had to stop to get some more practice. I would appreciate some comments and suggestions on how to improve my shots. These were taken with the D2H and 70-200 +1.4TC. I stopped down to f5.6 for most of them. One think I sort of know is that I need a 300 2.8 to shoot field sports. These are around a 50% crop and the D2H is not the best camera to be cropping with. Not a bad effort but I need some more practice framing the action and holding the focus on the main subject. I'm still struggling with exposure and I wish these popped more.

original.

View attachment 91998

This would be a real good shot if I could have gotten her face but then it would have been back-lit.
    View attachment 91999

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These aren't bad Chris, but shooting with a focal length that requires significant cropping surely degrades the file. Your results really aren't bad, you just need to capture the action that is closer to you. With regard to settings, you did really well since it looked as though your sunlight was harsh. Not bad and it will only get better with more shooting opportunities.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Frank. I appreciate the help. The light was pretty strong. Do you think the exposures are generally ok? I tried something new this time and locked exposure off of the grass and added some ev. My results were more consistent.

So the solution is to be patient and wait for closer shots or buy the 300 VR. Well if that is what I have to do:biggrin: .....