Midnight Whales in Iceland

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bobhoge, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Nan & I have returned from Iceland with lots of photos. I have quickly processed these as a "teaser" post while I work on many more.

We encountered a group of 25 to 40 or so Humpback Whales off the Northwest coast of Iceland (somewhere between Siglufjordur and Hornstrandir if you want to be more precise :confused:)

By June 9, at this location, sunset is 12:40AM and sunrise is 2:05AM, it does not get dark at all. These photos were taken at 11:35PM with plenty of light available (my camera was set to Scotland time, one hour ahead of Iceland time).

This young Humpback was still hanging out with its mother. It just kept breaching and breaching. We got quite close, you could hear it hit the water and also breathing. :cool:

D-70 70-300VR @140mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another sequence about 10 minutes later @280mm,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many more photos to process.
    Bob & Nan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow
    Wonderful

3. Beautiful!

4. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    In September I'm going "North to Alaska" and have book a whale trip after seeing what my brother got last month.

Yours is a very nice series, great images.

5. simply fascinating!

6. mdupont

mdupont

Jun 12, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Amazing. I like the second picture in the second sequence. It looks like a sea gull is trying to get out of the way.
    Taking the Family to Bar Harbor Me this July and we are planning on going on a whale watching trip. Hope to get some good pictures there.

Mike

7. These are simply "Awesome"... I can only just imagine being there and seeing them, let alone getting some great shots like yours... Great stuff....