Mighty Lola - First Agility Meet, First Q and First Place!

Darn it, I can't edit the title, it SHOULD say:
Mighty Lola - sheesh....

My wife, Nancy, has been training Lola our Mini-Schnauzer for a while now and we went to our first AKC Agility Meet on 06/21 & 06/22. I will be posting another thread with some of the other dogs from the meet, these are just Lola, because, well she IS the Mighty Lola, and runs our house. It should be noted that the purple shirt Nancy is wearing says "Fear the Beard", with a Schnauzer on the front. Just wanted to note this is not MY beard that is to be feared. This was the first time Lola has run outdoors, she trains indoors, so we were not at all sure how she would react to all the dogs and people. Nancy was quite happy, neither Lola nor Nancy embarrassed themselves .....

Our last mini, Scooter, was an agility dog for 10 years, holding titles in Novice and Open classes. Nancy's plan is for Lola to do the same.

Day 1 we needed to have Lola measured, to get an official height for the jumps. Unfortunately the judge doing the measuring determine she was 14-3/4 inches, which meant jumping at 16 inches, 4 inches higher than she has been training. This made things a bit difficult, but did provide some interesting shots.

Day 1 - Standard:
Tire Jump:
p387998232-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Riding the Teeter:
p519997609-5.jpg

Day 1 - Jumpers with Weaves:
Big Jump, clearing 16" with room to spare:
p319966975-5.jpg

Hopping over the Last Jump - this was funny, Lola stopped at the jump, we think she was a bit freaked by the height and the width. Nancy called her to Jump, she did this from a standing start.
p812042655-5.jpg

The Landing:
p279694795-5.jpg

On to Day 2, as we were driving out we were talking about Lola getting measured again, it takes 2 measurements to be official. I said to Nancy "Won't it be interesting if the next measurement is at 14 inches", that is the cut-off to jump 12 inches. Lo and behold, she measures an even 14 inches, so now we need another judge to measure her. This one comes out at 13-7/8, so BINGO, back jumping at 12 inches, quite a difference. First run of the day Lola gets here first Qualifying Run and a First Place in the 12" class!!!! Needless to say, Nancy is one very happy person.

Day 2 - Jumpers with Weaves:
Out of the Tunnel:
p417383659-5.jpg

Over the Top:
p487880602-5.jpg

Weave, Weave, Weave!:
p251026851-5.jpg

p231354040-5.jpg

p520986991-5.jpg

Flying:
p253378066-5.jpg

Day 2 - Standard:
Funny Ears Weave:
p374484670-5.jpg

Photographing my own dog is always tough. Scooter would run off the course if she saw me, so I had to hide behind something and could not get the best angles, plus I was always further from the course than I would like. Nancy made me do the same with Lola, but I was able to at least find some good angles.

Bill a super set of shots here. I am impressed and so was Janice. Lola is an amazing dog and jumper. Praise Nancy for all her hard work as well. Makes us miss our Schnauzer for sure. However it was not so well behaved as Lola or Scooter.

Real Name
Dan
Congrats to mom and child on an excellent performance. And well captured. That jump from a standing start is the most unique form I've ever seen to be sure. Great shot in the weaves with only the two hind feet on the ground.

The agility community gives photographers no consideration. That fencing they used for the ring made for some annoying BG. One of the venues up here has that stuff and it made me stop complaining about the simple orange tape that others use.

Thanks, Louie and Jim. I will pass on your comments to Nancy. Her goal was not to be embarrassed. I kept telling that after doing this with Scooter for 10 years, she would do fine. And once again, I was RIGHT!!!! :)

Thanks, Dan, you are so correct on these fences. I am always torn with going for the "eye-level" view and being struck with the fencing or a bit higher angle. Most times though, especially with the jumps and contacts, you can't get the crud out of the background.

That standing jump just cracked me up. What you can't see, or hear, was Nancy on the other side coaxing Lola, and the cheer when she just popped over the top. The only funnier one I have ever gotten was a Jack Russell going through the tire with all 4 feet forward. That one looks REALLY weird.

Nancy signed up for another meet next month, should be fun

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful photos and story.....very entertaining! I love watching agility.

Looks like you two are going to have great fun and success in the future!

BTW - I fixed the title....

Wonderful photos and story.....very entertaining! I love watching agility.

Looks like you two are going to have great fun and success in the future!

BTW - I fixed the title....

Thanks for the Title Fix, I felt PRETTY DARNED STUPID, when I saw it myself .....

The story really does make this for us. Nancy was "annoyed" to say the least after the first measurement, but it sure did give me one of the neatest shots I have ever gotten at agility, that jump from a standing position.

I agree, I think Lola and Nancy will have great fun and success. Me, I just tag along to do the driving and "carting about" :)

+1 - photos of the meet are good and so is Lola. I like the intense concentration shown in her eyes.

Thanks, Allan. You make a really good point bringing up the concentration. It really is quite amazing how intense the dogs get, the handlers can be even worse!

I was thinking a Schnauzer should be good at that ...... I have one called Artie here ...he loves to jump around here on stuff and runs like the wind ...problem with him is he has a mind of his own ... bit stubborn but we love him just the same!

Latest threads

Top Bottom