Migration Continues

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Aug 21, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Typical dreary coastal day with no sun and the swallows are gathering in incredible numbers now. At one point there so many in the sky, I stopped shooting and sat on the ground, simply looking up in total wonder and awe. Nature has a way of making me feel really small at times like this :)

First light and they emerge from the nighttime marsh grass roosts and congregate overhead....

original.

Next they swarm the road, constantly blasting off in a tremendous burst of excitiement...

original.

original.

original.

And of course...they swarm the bushes as well....

original.

original.

original.

2. Very nice Jim. I know what you mean about just sitting back and taking it all in. I did that last year when the snow geese all took off after an eagle flew overhead.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shots Jim.

4. Awesome, Jim. That must be an incredible sight to see. :)

5. That is an amazing scene Jim. I'm glad you shared it with us.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wow, Jim! That's a lot of birds! An awesome scene that you've captured very well. Thanks for sharing!

7. Cool shots Jim

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks Folks

It is an awesome sight, especially in person :)

I'm hoping that they hang around until Tuesday so I might be able to shoot them early in the morning.

Once these guys decide it's time to go, the entire island is devoid of them within a matter of an hour.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent work Jim. I have tried to shoot groups of birds and I know how difficult it is to capture effectively. These are excellent.

10. Jim

With the migration starting I look forward to next month. The temperature and humidity will start to moderate and St. Marks NWR will start to welcome all the northern bird species. We do get large numbers of swallows during this time.

It is truly a remarkable time of the year as the cycle continues.

St. Marks NWR did suffer damage from hurricane Dennis. The storm surge washed some of the levees and trails away. I know a request has been made for a supplemental budget to facilitate repairs. I think at least one of the fresh water area levee was damaged which allowed it to drain.

I am going to try and get down there next week.
    It will be interesting to see if any swallows have started to arrive.

Russ