Mike, Diane, Gale - my first AHB

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Phil K, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Thanks again for the tutorial and inspiration. It's my attempt - Lotus with Art History Brush. It's not very good but at least I know I am heading the right direction. :smile: Please tell me how to improve. I should have created more layers and painted with finer brushes, but I was supposed to be making a powerpoint for a presentation on Friday and was very much behind schedule.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Phil,
    Really great job.
    First try, I am really impressed.

Very pretty. Your on your way now :>)))

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow Phil...I think that you have fallen into something special. That is a beautiful flower...perfectly obscured, soft colors and the texture is great. Just beautiful!

4. Lovely image, Phil. I wonder how it would look if sharpened BEFORE texture was added. I also play with the texture sliders and find myself reducing the defaults for most. I think this is a great starter and now you're on your way to becoming addicted!! :biggrin:

5. Wow Phil....:biggrin: that's pretty cool....you'll be caught up with me in no time.....my #1 was a mess :frown:

6. This is quite impressive and I like it a lot Phil. Way to go.

7. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Nice one Phil

Great work Phil - love what you have done, to the extent that I have actually had a go myself for the first time and just posted.

Thanks for the inspiration but thanks to Mike for his help to us all.

Best wishes

Ray

8. Thanks everyone for the advices and encouragements. I'm really new to retouching and it's great fun. Hope I have more time to learn and try more.

Mike, my real first try is a huge mess. I will be going nowhere without your tutorial. Thanks again.

9. Phil, getting started is half the battle. Now you're on your way! You're having some of the same difficulties I had with blurriness. I don't think it is necessarily the sharpening either. I think it's has something to do with how the AHB strokes are applied. I hope our experts here can give us more advice. How much of the canvas do you apply the AHB to? Do you ever leave parts in their original state? The good thing I've found is my experiments is that I just make a lot of layers and do an AHB stoke of a particular size in one so I can see the differences as the "painting" progress.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Phil...Very nice job. A lot better than I can do. I don't paint worth a darn so I have to use actions to get me started and then I go back and change what I want to.

Keep up the good work!

11. How much of the canvas do you apply the AHB to? Do you ever leave parts in their original state?
    Virginia
    aka beaucamera[/QUOTE]

Virginia, you do apply the AHB to the whole canvas and no parts are left in their original state. The plan is to remove the idea that this is a photograph. (Crazy, huh?? :eek: ) Adding layers and changing modes can add to the effect you are looking for - just takes a lot of playing, patience, and picking others' brains. :smile: One of the best books I read that got me started down this path was "50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques" by Gregory Georges. There's also the "Wow" series of books that'll get your imagination going. But the Master of the AHB in my mind is Trimoon and one CD of his will really make it much easier to do.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl