Military Homecoming

My roommates dad came home today from a 7 month deployment. I went along with her and her family to get some pictures of him coming home at the airport. It was sure an emotional but great day for them to finally have him back home!

DSC_9582_May%2B17%252C%2B2011.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_9589_May%2B17%252C%2B2011.jpg

There are three teenage girls hiding under those arms :tongue:
DSC_9607_May%2B17%252C%2B2011.jpg

DSC_9677_May%2B17%252C%2B2011.jpg

DSC_9708_May%2B17%252C%2B2011.jpg

DSC_9727_May%2B17%252C%2B2011.jpg

Nice series Elizabeth. I'm sure they will love them for the memories. On a related note, isn't it difficult to get a good shot when they go in for the hugs? There's just NO good position to be in to get faces/expressions! :tongue:

Very nice series, you captured the emotion very well! On a side not for Shaun: it is indeed so difficult! As in couple dancing, there just is no good standpoint :confused:....
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone! My roommate just called me a bit ago and said that they love them!

Nice series Elizabeth. I'm sure they will love them for the memories. On a related note, isn't it difficult to get a good shot when they go in for the hugs? There's just NO good position to be in to get faces/expressions! :tongue:
Thanks Shaun! The hugs were pretty difficult, especially considering the fact that I was shooting with my 70-200 so I had to be a ways away and there were times where I would have a wave of people walking in front of me who just got off their flight so I have several pictures of peoples heads!

Very nice series, you captured the emotion very well! On a side not for Shaun: it is indeed so difficult! As in couple dancing, there just is no good standpoint :confused:....
Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, the good thing about a couple dancing is you have 3 minutes to work around them to get different angles. Luckily for me, these hugs lasted a little longer than most hugs :tongue:

Great set Elizabeth! Thank Him For Us Please!
Thanks Steve! I just e-mailed my roommate a couple of their favorite pictures for his blog (he's been writing a blog every day to keep people posted on how he is doing and everything. I believe he is turning it into a book at some point.) but I told her to relay the message to him!

Yes, please thank him! Great set :)

Tim

Thanks Tim!

Hey, DIA! I thought I recognized that airport. :tongue:

Great set. Can't believe there are 3 girls under those arms in #3!

Scott

Hey, DIA! I thought I recognized that airport. :tongue:

Great set. Can't believe there are 3 girls under those arms in #3!

Scott

Yeop! DIA it is! At first I couldn't figure out how you knew it was DIA just from the pictures, until I saw that you're from Colorado! :tongue:

And yes, the surprising thing is they're all 16-20 years old! The oldest (and shortest) hugged him first, giving him a good ole belly hug and the two younger ones went on each side of her!

Yeop! DIA it is! At first I couldn't figure out how you knew it was DIA just from the pictures, until I saw that you're from Colorado! :tongue:

And yes, the surprising thing is they're all 16-20 years old! The oldest (and shortest) hugged him first, giving him a good ole belly hug and the two younger ones went on each side of her!

I'd recognize any pictures of that airport in a heartbeat. Practically everyone in my family has worked for United Airlines, so I've been through that exit probably 1000 times at least. Where in CO are you located? I'm all the way out in Aurora, on the SE edge before you hit centennial.

The oldest must be really short, cause she is buried lol! All I can see is the arms with black long sleeves.

Scott

I'd recognize any pictures of that airport in a heartbeat. Practically everyone in my family has worked for United Airlines, so I've been through that exit probably 1000 times at least. Where in CO are you located? I'm all the way out in Aurora, on the SE edge before you hit centennial.

The oldest must be really short, cause she is buried lol! All I can see is the arms with black long sleeves.

Scott

I'm up in Greeley. Going to school there for photography with a business minor.

And yes, the oldest is the shortest of the three. I think she's like 5'5" maybe? The middle child is about 6 foot I believe and the youngest is growin like a weed!

100 % priceless! You really caught the happiness, love, every emotion that can come from the soldier and the family of that soldier - well done!
Thank you Dianne! I have to say that I've shot 20+ weddings and although I love wedding days and the love and emotion that comes with that, photographing a soldier coming home has SO much more love and emotion that any wedding I've shot to this day!

P.S. I love your quote in your end tag! That's something I'm struggling with now and I have to know that I can't be the best photographer out there, but I can be my best, and that's all that matters!

Great set that shows the emotion. There was a shot in the early 70s of a family running towards a released POW. The emotion was evident for all to see. Your show the same emotion. Great job. As to the quote, don't worry, you are doing better than most at a younger age. There are way more worse than you and not many better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE
P.S. I love your quote in your end tag! That's something I'm struggling with now and I have to know that I can't be the best photographer out there, but I can be my best, and that's all that matters![/QUOTE]

Thanks! It was one of Scott Kelby's associates that told me that when I went on my first photo walk. As photographers we always have something to learn and I know I have a long way to go - if I can't have fun at my photography then it's time to quit.

Great set that shows the emotion. There was a shot in the early 70s of a family running towards a released POW. The emotion was evident fir all to see. Your show the same emotion. Great job. As to the quote, don't worry, you are doing better than most at a younger age. There are way mire worse than you and not many better.

Thank you very much! I have my standards for myself set way too high. I'm my own worst critique!

Thanks! It was one of Scott Kelby's associates that told me that when I went on my first photo walk. As photographers we always have something to learn and I know I have a long way to go - if I can't have fun at my photography then it's time to quit.

Very well said Dianne!

Latest threads

Top Bottom