Milk Droplets

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PhotoByMark, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Ok, so I had a little time to waste. I have seen this done before but this is my first attempt at such things.

Why on earth would someone do this? I do not know? Just because I suppose?

So here a few shots for your amusement. :)

55711650_267abfe7c5_o.

55711613_3e445fd2c0_o.

55711663_ec172057ad_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Nice start. I don't know if you saw this on the Outback Photo site or not but here's a guy who's spent 20 years shooting droplets. Very interesting work and technique. Take a look st his web site for more info on getting going. His link is through the below OBP article.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/portfoliowork/pw_40/essay.html

3. Cool! Puts my work to shame. But I have invested 5 hours and he has got 20 years on me. None the less he has some awesome shots. I agree, need a triggering device to get some awesome shots. I did try to get my D70s to do "Trap Focus" but, that did not work with the droplets. Not enough contrast perhaps. I have not given up on this type of photography and hopefully I can improve on my technique. Thanks for the link.

4. This looks to be a most interesting piece of equipment. I want one. Great-More things to my list of things that I want.

Time Machine

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Mark, your work is fine for a start. I just wanted you to see this other guy's work for inspiration and perhaps some technical advice if you go further. 19 years, 364 days, 19 hours is quite a lead.....(wink).

6. Oh yeah I know. :smile: I appreciate the link. Been going through all those links and came across this Time Machine Trigger device. I am seriously considering getting something like that(someday). I think it would be useful for all sorts of things. Then again, there is the whole money thing. I have already spent way over my budget for the year on camera equipment. I need to concentrate on the equipment I have and figure out a way to raise some $$$ for more camera toys.

7. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    The latest issue of Make magazine (Issue #4) has an article on how to build a sound or light triggered flash for taking pictures of popping balloons, stuff getting hit by projectiles, etc. I doubt the sound is sufficient for triggering on droplets, though.

In typical Make fashion, their solution involves dissecting a disposable 35mm camera and then constructing a circuit to fire the flash in it when triggered by light or sound. You use your own camera for taking the pictures, not the disposable. It's not a super cheap project (the kit version of their circuit is $99), but they used the disposable camera because the cheap flash in it is a very short duration and not terribly intense. To use a sophisticated flash for it, you have to deal with the control signals that control the flash duration and intensity.

In their scenario, you set everything up in a dark room, set your camera for a long exposure, then let the triggered flash expose your shot.

Check out Makezine.com for details. This is a quarterly magazine and is quite expensive per issue ($14.95), but the subscription rate (~$35) is a good deal and gives you access to online electronic editions and a lot of background material on their site. You can also learn how to make a cigar box guitar and a whole lot of other neat stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  8. Those are cool shots! This is something that I have always wanted to do, I just never got around to trying. You may have just rearranged my priorities!

9. Chris - I will check this out! thanks.

10. Thanks. I wasted an afternoon doing these. It becomes addicting - almost like a game of sorts. Once, you get just one shot close to something keepable then it is hard to stop. Always hoping to snag that awesome shot. I am hoping for a real cold and rainy day and then I can play around and not feel so guilty about it. Some type of triggering device would be interesting also. See above for some tips/links on such devices. I have more ideas so I will be doing this again!

11. Only one who has tried and failed (like me) can appreciate what you have one here!

Very nice effort and success.

12. Yes - Time consuming. Lots of experimenting. I hope to waste more time and try again!

Thanks for the comments.