Milkweed Bugs

My butterfly weed plant has new surprises for me every day! I think these are milkweed bugs.

1248699440_7UKAc-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

So your exif says that you are shooting with no flash and 1/30th shutter (I noticed similar on your crane fly shot). Are you shooting these handheld? I really need to venture into the world of non-flash macro because this shot (as all of yours) is beautiful.

So your exif says that you are shooting with no flash and 1/30th shutter (I noticed similar on your crane fly shot). Are you shooting these handheld? I really need to venture into the world of non-flash macro because this shot (as all of yours) is beautiful.
Thanks so much for your kind words, Nate. I have to tell you, though, that I'm still in the "throw enough against the wall and hope something sticks" level of photography! I have learned that tripod works much better than no tripod in most macro cases (except when things are moving too much to use a tripod, then it's hold my breath and hope for the best!). If the light is good, I go for no flash. If it doesn't look right to me, I try again with flash. If I'm trying to get close, I go to f22. For whatever works, I really have to credit the great shots I see here for inspiration, and all the great critique.

Love the color & patterns! Your putting out some great macro! Love this shot Doss!
Thanks, Steve, for your encouragement!

Don't think I've ever seen bugs that color! Nicely done, dossy. Especially for a "throw enough against the wall and hope something sticks" photographer!

Don't think I've ever seen bugs that color! Nicely done, dossy. Especially for a "throw enough against the wall and hope something sticks" photographer!
Thanks Eric! It's been interesting watching them. They stayed very still and in a small cluster for several days at the top of the plant, then they turned more black with red markings and climbed down the plant. I don't know what any of this means, but it's fascinating!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom