Critique Milky Way in South Florida

Real Name
Andy
An unusually dry and clear South Florida night prompted me to try an astrophotography shot from my new home last month. Lots of light pollution and stifling humidity typically get in the way of seeing the Milky Way core during the months it is supposed to be visible. To make matters worse, at the time of capture, I had not yet figured out how to disable the motion sensor floodlamps which were bathing the trees in light. Anyway, since I got reasonably good captures (and even remembered to get dark frames during the session), I figured I should try to get a final image of some sort, so I finally got around to doing the post processing today.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An unusually dry and clear South Florida night prompted me to try an astrophotography shot from my new home last month. Lots of light pollution and stifling humidity typically get in the way of seeing the Milky Way core during the months it is supposed to be visible. To make matters worse, at the time of capture, I had not yet figured out how to disable the motion sensor floodlamps which were bathing the trees in light. Anyway, since I got reasonably good captures (and even remembered to get dark frames during the session), I figured I should try to get a final image of some sort, so I finally got around to doing the post processing today.

View attachment 1672582
Well you certainly got what you wanted Andy, even though there is a lot of light. I have a similar problem with lights here but only have to wait out of range long enough for them to switch off. And leave the dog inside, which she's never happy about, otherwise she would be prowling around turning the lights on all night if I let her. I have yet to get a pic of the Milky Way. Time I tried.

Real Name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice shot. May be you can darken the greens with PP a bit.
Yes, that is a good suggestion, and in fact I did this to some extent in the image I posted. That gives you an idea how much light there was. Reducing the exposure on the foreground further started to look unnatural, as the associated glow around the trees was much harder to eliminate. Each attempt to do so on my part made the photo look really artificial. The nest solution is probably to wait until the Milky Way core's return to the Northern Hemisphere next year.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom