Milky Way over the Snake River

Real Name
Andy
From my most recent Milky Way outing in Southwestern Idaho. Shooting and postprocessing details are below the photograph.
Idaho_21D_4604-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shooting info:
Capture was made between moonset and the beginning of morning astronomical twilight, leaving only the light pollution from the small town of Hammett, which can be seen at the low point on the horizon. These were the darkest skies I have had so far this year. There was a very slight haze in the air. Exposure was two minutes on a tracking mount. Sadly, time constraints prevented me from getting an untracked ambient light exposure of the foreground to composite with the sky.

Postprocessing info:

(all accomplished in Photoshop)
  1. Vignette correction
  2. Curves and Hue/Saturation adjustments to salvage some of the color in the foreground
  3. Cloned away four street lamps in the midground
  4. Two Curves adjustments and one Hue/Saturation adjustment to sky
It took longer to drive from Boise to this location than the combined shooting and post processing time.

Real Name
Andy
Here's a pano from the same vantage point using a longer focal length:
Idaho_21D_4611-Pano-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shooting info:
Eight frames captured in portrait orientation from tracking mount, 30 seconds each.

Postprocessing info:
  1. Lightroom - merged to pano
  2. Photoshop - two curves adjustments to the sky

Real Name
Andy
Beautiful!

Just . . . Wow, Andy!

I like #1 with the bottom edge framed by the landscape

Fantastic.

Incredible Andy. Extremely well captured and PP'd. (y)

Excellent!

Simply ... STUNNING!!

Ken

Thanks for all the kind words. It has been a steep learning curve, but very rewarding. I am newly inspired to devote more time to improving the pano technique and composition. Impatiently waiting for the next new moon!

Latest threads

Top Bottom