Milky Way

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Todd_D1x, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Sorry for my absence but I have been working quite a bit and not doing much photography.I soon hope to change that. I went out of town this weekend and took my camera (D2h) and my telescope mount, the Celestron CG-5 and photographed the Milkw Way, well part of it. Here are the results.
    I used my Nikon D2h digital camera w/ 50mm F/1.4 set @ F/2 lens and three 2.5 minute exposures on the Cygnus shot, the other shot of the Sagittarius Star cloud was same exposure but with the 85mm F/1.4 set @ F/2 also. The images were aligned and combined using Images Plus.

Comments welcome

Todd

2. Todd, these are fantastic! It is a realm of photography I hope to try one day. I've got the telescopes but not the camera mounting nor tracking mechanisms.

Glad to see you're back to shooting. I enjoyed your work over at dpr (like the olive oil bottle with the nice backdrop) :) I've been a lurker there for over a year. Glad I found this place though. As you can see, I'm quite the opposite of a lurker here. ;)

Keep posting more. You have fans out there!

3. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hi Kevin, I am glad you liked the images of the milky way. I was nice to get out and shoot more astrophotos especially after getting my camera back from being repaired: (dead meter). Well I hope you get a chance to shoot some sky imagery soon, it is fun to do. Let me know if I can help.

Todd

4. Awesome photos. I'd love to delve into this kind of photography as well.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow! Todd, those are really, REALLY fantastic!

I have attempted to afix my camera to my telescope mount to get some tracking action, but it was no good from my location - the city lights completely overwhelm the stars (everything is red.) The mount and stand for my Maksutov is so heavy, I'd hate to try and relocate it. I took my Dob to the boonies a while back, but only accomplished some drawings (obviously.)

I still hope to be able to do some tracked photography, but I think I'll need to invest in a small, accurate tracking device that I could attach a camera to and take with me out of town.

Any suggestions? I have considered building a clockwork and screw driven platform, but I don't know if those would be accurate enough. Probably for 10 minutes or so, huh?

In any event, I could just be content to look at your photos - they are beautiful!

(Here, by the way, is my drawing of the Lagoon.)

6. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Justin for the comments, let me know if you need help getting started with this area of Photography.

Todd

7. Todd_D1x

Todd_D1x

Feb 23, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Wow thanks Chris for you post. I have enjoyed astronomy as a hobby for 20 or so years now. I have a 8-inch newtonian and a 16-inch dob for my visual observing. It is hard to get shots of the sky while in the city that's for sure!!! Your sketch of M8 was nicely done. I also sketch objects as seen through the eyepiece and I also wrote an article on how to do it for the bi-monthly Reflector magazine. I have not yet sketched the lagoon but here is the link and an example of my sketches:
    http://www.pbase.com/todd991/astronomy

Example 1 NGC 253

Example 2 M82

And last but not least, the Skull nebula!

original.

I drew this several years ago during the month of October as a halloween theme that I hung up in the break room where I used to work, it got allot of attention and was quite fun. Any way here is the link to all of my photography if you care to take a look: www.pbase.com/todd991

Take care Chris and if you want to sketch black on white like I do, I'll give you al list of the tools I use to so they look like mine. I'll try to dig up a copy of that article and give you a copy as well. Talk to you later dude,

Todd

8. Todd, I have always enjoyed your photography and these latest celestial shots are a good demonstration of why. Unique and well done.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am speachless...

wow what photography.

10. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I love space

I wish I was out there sometimes :p

Love your pics - we should take MORE care of our wonderful bit of space right here.

Thanks for the share.