Featured Critique Milwaukee City Hall -- B&W versions

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by gnagel, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Here are a few from my recent visit to City Hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin:

p2645165467-5.

p2645165468-5.

p2645165466-5.

All images captured with the D850.

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 4
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Quite an intriguing architecture! Finding such optimum compositions must have been challenging!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Karen...the most challenging aspect was timing the exposures to avoid people. Also, the lighting was optimal while it was raining out, but once the sun broke through the contrast in the atrium was unmanageable. Fortunately, it rained during most of my visit!

Glenn

4. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I like the composition of #1 the best. It has good leading lines which drew my eye to the ceiling / skylight (?). 2 & 3 were probably more challenging from a composition stand point. I say that because I am looking for absolute symmetry in #2. I don't quite see it. It is one of those things that is distracting for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks jbird...and I understand your point about #2 lacking absolute symmetry. I'm a big symmetry guy!

Glenn

6. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I have deliberately not taken a shot because I could not get the symmetry. Why waste the electrons?

7. I'm at the point where I am forcing myself to compose more shots that don't feature symmetry. I've been accused of favoring symmetry too much throughout my photographs. I will always photograph symmetrical images (and enjoy doing so), but I'm finding that by seeking different perspectives that I am often able to portray more depth to the scenes.

Glenn

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Wonderful architecture and excellently captured, Glenn!
    Great processing as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks Bart...much appreciated.

Glenn

10. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Glen. Once again you have amazed me with the prosign of your work. I love the choice of B&W here also. Nice shooting and I look forward to seeing more of your images.
    Regards.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks again, Mike. I appreciate your encouraging words.

Glenn

12. That first one is a real killer - if it was the only one you posted I would have stared at it for a long time trying to figure out what it was.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm enjoying each one however for some reason number 3 stands out for me. love the mono conversions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Great compositions and conversions Glenn.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nice conversion on these shots Glenn. The wrought iron work is amazing and lends interest to architecture in general. There is enough symmetry in #2 to carry your overall style and of course #1 kicks butt on the symmetry scale.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Thanks Allan...the first one was my favorite from the visit.
    Thank you, John...I think the third image helps illustrate what's so unusual about the building. The interior is very long and narrow...yet has that open space running from the lobby to the ceiling.
    Thanks again, Binnur
    Thank you, Gordon...I'm so glad that I walked over to this building. I didn't know what to expect and it far exceeded my expectations.

Glenn

17. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Stunnng work! Featured! And truth be told your work resonates with me because of your symmetry!

I do understand though your point of shooting styles outside of your comfort zone and broadening your photographic eye. I myself got into a rut with a certain indoor dance style method, but was missing out on other things and fcusing on the look and forced myself many years ago to be more flexible.

I do appreciate the great depth of field in these images, both vertical and horizontal!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks for the kind words, Wade...and I'm honored to have this thread featured.

Glenn

19. My preference is #3 as an image of a particular building interior. While the others are interesting abstracts, they don't anchor the image to a specific location.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for your feedback...the first is certainly the most abstract. The third shows how the interior of the building is unique IMO.

Glenn