1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mimes in the Plaza

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Rick Waldroup, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mimes in the Plaza - Santa Fe, New Mexico

The camera was a D1x with an 18-70 zoom

2. cool shot, rick
    love the b/w treatment
    do you have any more to show us?

3. Thanks Greg. That was the really only decent shot that came out. I happened to be passing through the Plaza, I was working at the time, and got off just a few shots of the mimes. Fortunately, for this shot, a slight gust of wind came along and ruffled the girl's dress. :smile:

After processing the shot, to me, it looked much better in B&W. However, I convert about 90% of what I shoot to B&W. :cool: 

4. this is good, in fact it is very good.

5. CougarWilbur

CougarWilbur Guest

I like the blank expression on his face. Nice image!

6. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I was only in Santa Fe for just a few hours, but I fell in love with the place. I hope to visit again when I have more time to spend there.

7. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    I really like this shot. Looks contest worthy for sure.

8. I really like the picture.

And it's one of the many demonstrations that you don't need the latest equipment to get good pictures (and I say that as a D3 owner).

9. Thanks for the kind words Newt and Walter.

Walter, I love that old D1x. I originally bought it to use as a second camera along with my D2H and it wound up being my everday camera. I have printed this image as large as 13x19 and it looks really nice.

10. Very interesting! Wonderful capture of something we don't see very often! As much as I enjoy color - I think this one is special being in B&W!

11. Thanks Dianne, the color shot is not bad either, but when I converted it to B&W, like I do most of my stuff, it just seemed to fit the mood much better.

12. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great picture. The Plaza in Santa Fe is almost always alive with something interesting. It's a great town.

13. Art, I was in Santa Fe only for a short time, but I love that place. I intend on going back sometime next year and spend a few days. While in The Plaza, I had a couple of beers at The Sleeping Dog ( I believe that was the name) and had my fortune read, for free, by a fortune teller who just happened to be sitting at the bar, having lunch. Then I steppped outside and got off a couple of shots of the mimes. The place is beautiful.

I know The Plaza is a big tourist spot, but I was able to drive around a bit and visit some other places and Santa Fe really is unique.

14. Very nice image, Rick. Santa Fe, and the rest of New Mexico, is ideal b/w country. Be careful... New Mexico has a way of getting inside Texans and we end up living here.

15. I was wondering when you were going to chime in here, David. :smile:

This was my first visit to New Mexico, and you are right, I did not want to leave. Unfortunately, I was there for work in what was probably the worst gig I have ever had. I was on the road for two weeks with a new and upcoming punk rock band, doing promo work for their record label as well as posting the photos on their daily blog.

Suffice to say that I will not name the band, as I would never want anyone to have to endure their music. Their music sucked, their record label tried to stiff me on my pay, the band members where a bunch of prima donna jerks, and on and on and on it went. Two weeks of absolute hell.

But, we did hit New Mexico for a couple of days and I was able to escape my captors and get out by myself for just a few hours here and there.

And I am afraid you may be right. My wife and I are planning a trip next year. You may have a new neighbor soon, my friend. :cool: 

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rick :

Right in my back yard, and I missed shooting them ! Jeepers, this irks me no end.

Y'know... < long pause >
    ... a mime is a terrible thing to waste. :rolleyes: 

John P.

17. now John....:Curved::eek: :biggrin:

18. Groan....... I almost fell out of my chair when I got to the bottom....:biggrin:

19. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005

< long sweeping bow >

I achieved my goal.

And, y'know, the difference between people from the US and the UK is that they can't tell the difference between goals and gaols... :wink:

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.