Min a Salaam and The Burj Al Arab

Here's a Black and White conversion (using Silver Efex) of a view over the waterways of Souk Madinat towards Mina a Salaam Hotel and the Burj Al Arab hotel.

p955358588-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Paul, Alan, Bar, Dossy, Ed, Al Wally, Tri and Steve

I prefer the colour version though, but I'll be trying Silver Efex out a lot over the coming months as the light is flat and there will be no clouds until November :eek:

The Burj Al Arab hotel is pretty well known, but it's nicer to look at than be in (unless you like golden everything, down to the restrooms). There are lots of views around the Souk Madinat complex that frame the view to the Burj in the background nicely and if anyone visits Dubai I'd highly recommend it. I prefer the Mina A Salaam hotel as it has some nice bars and views. As an expat in the Middle East your local bars have to be licenced through hotels, which makes for some entertaining 5* hotel pub crawls!

I was trying some morning shots the other day in the same area with a 10 stop ND and got some security attention, being told I wasn't allowed to shoot. Twiddling thumbs in a security room when there's no-one around, I think, because I don't know how they'd expect to stop the thousands of visitors and tourists from taking photos there daily!

Firstly the reasoning was that I was using a tripod (so I must be a professional?), so then I removed the 10 stop and took the camera off the tripod.

Then the reason was that I was using a big camera, so it must be professional. Time to just smile sweetly and move on, as security are jobsworths in Dubai generally.

For the record, if you are visiting Dubai you can get away with shooting pretty much anything apart from the usual and a few other subjects that could get you into trouble.

Banks - no
Embassies - no
Police and Military facilities - no
Local Emirati men - not unless you are given express permission
Local Emirati women - definitely not unless you are given express permission

So if anyone likes street photography, there are lots of great places to hunt but watch what you're hunting!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom