mind helping a newbie

bought a Nikon D3100 about 3 months ago and i was thinking about buying a new lens in the future say june. i was wondering what kind of lens i should purchase. i enjoy taking pictures of car (actual photoshoot kinda of thing not just P&S)...so cars, scenic places, and others. here are some pics that i took with the stock lens.

(this one has a horrible background lol)
DSC_0155.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 27
For cars, I'd get an UWA, like a Sigma 10-20mm.

For scenic places and others, you can do well with your kit lens, but I'd get a 35mm 1.8 as well.

You are doing well with the "stock" lens but if you find yourself limited with your car photography, an ultra wide is the answer.
Your "stock" lens is a good choice for scenery. The ultra wide works nicely when you have an important subject in the foreground.
On regard to the background on the first shot, it is disturbing only if you do not crop it.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

A lot depends on what your budget is.

Secondly, have you mastered the camera and kit lens yet? In three months, I doubt it. That's not a put down because it's pretty hard to master a camera and lens in three months. It was two years before I could afford new glass when I had my used Asiahflex back in 1959. I had to mow lawns and save. By then I'd somewhat mastered the camera and lens enough to know what I needed next. That's the key, I think. It's time to buy a new lens when you've mastered the old one well enough to know what you need to overcome limitations you have not been able to overcome with the kit.

If you jump on a new lens everytime you think you're bored with an existing lens, you'll never learn any of them that well. There's people out there with two and three lenses already who don't know full f/stops or what they really mean nor how they interrelate. Some have never adjusted their camera out of default settings much less learned how to process their own yet they want to buy new glass at the drop of a hat. What are they going to do with the new glass?

So, I think that's the key to this. If you come to a forum asking what your next lens should be, you're not ready for a new lens. When you're ready, you'll not need to ask. If you buy what I suggest, what if your interests turn out to be somewhere else. If you buy what Janometry suggests, same thing. It could be a waste of money. By learning what you have and really learning photography, you'll learn what you need. Then come back here and ask for optinions along very narrow lines.

Good luck and have fun.

Secondly, have you mastered the camera and kit lens yet? In three months, I doubt it. That's not a put down because it's pretty hard to master a camera and lens in three months. It was two years before I could afford new glass when I had my used Asiahflex back in 1959. I had to mow lawns and save. By then I'd somewhat mastered the camera and lens enough to know what I needed next. That's the key, I think. It's time to buy a new lens when you've mastered the old one well enough to know what you need to overcome limitations you have not been able to overcome with the kit.

If you jump on a new lens everytime you think you're bored with an existing lens, you'll never learn any of them that well. There's people out there with two and three lenses already who don't know full f/stops or what they really mean nor how they interrelate. Some have never adjusted their camera out of default settings much less learned how to process their own yet they want to buy new glass at the drop of a hat. What are they going to do with the new glass?

So, I think that's the key to this. If you come to a forum asking what your next lens should be, you're not ready for a new lens. When you're ready, you'll not need to ask. If you buy what I suggest, what if your interests turn out to be somewhere else. If you buy what Janometry suggests, same thing. It could be a waste of money. By learning what you have and really learning photography, you'll learn what you need. Then come back here and ask for optinions along very narrow lines.

Good luck and have fun.

Allot of wisdom in this.

very true. and thank you for taking the time to write that.
also if i were to purchase a 35mm 1.8 how well would i do if i took car pics

Buy the sigma 10-20, I love this lens. Seems like your type of shooting would be perfect with WA lens

Good luck and have fun.

unformed, do yourself a favour and listen to this. Don't ever forget these words of wisdom.

I shot with that kit lens for 3 years until I upgraded anything, and it was fine for my tastes.

I was able to produce shots like this and I don't doubt that you can do better:
5090699166_a40f7d3be7_b.jpg

As for the 35 1.8, that focal length is okay for car shots but I really don't think it's anything special (the kit lens will do everything the 35 can in terms of car shots). For anything else though, it's money. Super sharp wide open and it's perfect for a walk-around, general purpose lens. It'll also teach you how to operate in the wonderful world of primes.

Here's a sample shot of a car taken with the 35 wide open:

5111240393_edaec0916a_b.jpg

Good luck and have fun.

Allot of wisdom in this.

unformed, do yourself a favour and listen to this. Don't ever forget these words of wisdom.

truer words are rarely found on the intarwebz.

well said CraigH. very, very well said.

i have his words saved as a doc. lol
i dont know ill see by june if i should get a new lens.

(P.S. anybody have any tips or tuts for taking car pics or landscape photos)

(P.S. anybody have any tips or tuts for taking car pics or landscape photos)

use a Tripod?

turn your camera ON?

make sure batteries are charged?

ensure data card is in the camera before attempting to take pix?

keep your glass free of gunk?

don't be afraid to try different perspectives? (so get down low or up on a ladder or something?)

if you REALLY want to go landscape/auto a UWA will be a must...but before you buy I would suggest renting a lens and see what you think of it first....

should i buy refurbished lenses or used lenses

If you buy a refurbished lens, you get a 90-day warranty. However, if you buy a refurb from Cameta Camera, they extend the warranty to one full year.

If you buy used, you take your chances. Some dealers, like Keh.com, give a 60-day warranty on used equipment. On the other hand, I've bought 19 Nikkor AI / AIS lenses (estimated 10 to 30 years old) from eBay and Keh.com in the past 5 years , and I've only had trouble with one of them - a loose focusing ring. :smile:

you will read that a polarizer doesn't do good with a WA but I find this untrue. I use a CPL on my sigma 10-20 about 90% of the time outdoors. You do have to pay attention to it. I just have a cheap tiffen

those are the 2 sigma 10-20 on the market. The difference is one is F4 - 5.6(F4 at 10mm and it rises as you go up)
The other is F3.5 at 10-20.
Save the money unless you really want to use this lens in low light indoor type stuff. If you want that stuff its likely better just to get the tokina 11-16 which is 2.8, but if you want this for more car and landscape save the money and get the cheaper sigma

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom