1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mine, Jerome Arizona

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Cool shot! I can feel the heat!:smile:

2. Yours? Oh, mine. lol Quite an impressive structure on the hill. Love to see some close-in
    pics of that. Wonder what all those fences mean...

3. I like this one alot. It draws you in, especially that structure on the hill. Great shot.

4. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Very nice. Isn't that the Little Daisy Hotel? There are a lot of old mine shafts in the area, so I'm thinking the fences are there to discourage "exploring."

Regards,
    John

5. I'm think the fences are put there to climb:biggrin: Nice panorama.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Steve! Actually it was in the mid-80s. This is just shy of 5000 feet high (vs 1000 in Phoenix where it was MUCH hotter!)

Mine all mine Bill! :Wink:

Thanks Clayton!

Right on both accounts John. The fence is around the State Park, which is closed by the economy, but it contains several shaft mines (as opposed to pit mines.) I wasn't sure what it was called, so I googled "Little Daisy Jerome" and here is the street view it gave me:
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, that's what it is!

That is exactly why the fences are there. The woman I was with kept saying "Lets go into a mine!" so I told her the story of a classmate in high school (many, many years ago) who died in an old mine that collapsed. While I really enjoy caving - I won't step foot into a mine shaft! The thought of rotted timbers holding up a mountain brings out my claustrophobia!

Here are two more pictures from the same spot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ouuhhhh. I like these, especially the last one...Come on November...(vacation time) :smile:

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Once again I'm shooting through a window there Tim! Jerome is pretty much a tourist town now. Thirty years ago, it was almost a commune - nobody but hippies and camp counselors (same/same) went there.

9. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Jerome has certainly changed. My first trip to Jerome was in 1967. It was nearly deserted. The mines closed in 1953, the transformation from a mining town to ghost town to tourist trap has been impressive to say the least. We were there last October at the same time as a big Motorcycle rally. The place was wall to wall Harleys. Unfortunately, this event is the same weekend we celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday. Makes for a more difficult time finding a room. Lots of photo ops though. :smile:

10. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    I like those last 2. We were there in 1974 and noticed that most of the residents were hippies, too.

Your first picture looked vaguely familiar. Here's a Kodachrome of the same scene from above your vantage point, taken on 12.26.74.

Regards,
    John

JeromeAZ.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11. Nice set!

12. Wow, it only gets better. The cloud formations look great as a backdrop to the landscape. Did you use any filters in that shot?

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very cool John! Interesting to see what has - or more so what has not - changed over the last 35 years! Unfortunately the park was closed, so the location you shot from is behind a locked gate.

14. What kind of mine?

15. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Copper. Arizona is the Copper State. There is still a lot of copper mining in parts of the state. I think there is a large pit still in Bagdad. Chris would know for sure.

16. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    When I was last there in the 90's there was still mining going on in the hills around Jerome. I believe the operation was being run by the Phelps Dodge mining company. The majority of the ore brought up was for copper, but gold and silver (in smaller amounts) were also mined.

There is/was a mining/town museum in the old Douglas mansion in the center of the town. There is/was a room in the museum which has a photo gallery displaying a photographic history of the town.

My first trip to Jerome was in 82, and I visited a few more times in the 80's and 90's. My grandparents used to live in Scottsdale, and I had friends who lived in Cottonwood, so I would take I-40 from LA to Flagstaff, and then highway 89 down to Cottonwood, then Jerome, Prescott, etc.

I miss the magnificent desert and mountain views (I was born in New Mexico), I hope to get back for the Christmas/New Year's holiday next December.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.