Mine, Jerome Arizona

Real Name
Chris
jeromemine1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D

Deleted member 960

Yours? Oh, mine. lol Quite an impressive structure on the hill. Love to see some close-in
pics of that. Wonder what all those fences mean...

Very nice. Isn't that the Little Daisy Hotel? There are a lot of old mine shafts in the area, so I'm thinking the fences are there to discourage "exploring."

Regards,
John

Real Name
Chris
Cool shot! I can feel the heat!:smile:
Thanks Steve! Actually it was in the mid-80s. This is just shy of 5000 feet high (vs 1000 in Phoenix where it was MUCH hotter!)

Yours? Oh, mine. lol Quite an impressive structure on the hill. Love to see some close-in
pics of that. Wonder what all those fences mean...
Mine all mine Bill! :Wink:

I like this one alot. It draws you in, especially that structure on the hill. Great shot.
Thanks Clayton!

Very nice. Isn't that the Little Daisy Hotel? There are a lot of old mine shafts in the area, so I'm thinking the fences are there to discourage "exploring."
Right on both accounts John. The fence is around the State Park, which is closed by the economy, but it contains several shaft mines (as opposed to pit mines.) I wasn't sure what it was called, so I googled "Little Daisy Jerome" and here is the street view it gave me:
googlestreetview.jpg
So yeah, that's what it is!

I'm think the fences are put there to climb:biggrin: Nice panorama.
That is exactly why the fences are there. The woman I was with kept saying "Lets go into a mine!" so I told her the story of a classmate in high school (many, many years ago) who died in an old mine that collapsed. While I really enjoy caving - I won't step foot into a mine shaft! The thought of rotted timbers holding up a mountain brings out my claustrophobia!

Here are two more pictures from the same spot:

jeromemine2.jpg

jeromemine3.jpg

Real Name
Chris
Once again I'm shooting through a window there Tim! Jerome is pretty much a tourist town now. Thirty years ago, it was almost a commune - nobody but hippies and camp counselors (same/same) went there.

Jerome has certainly changed. My first trip to Jerome was in 1967. It was nearly deserted. The mines closed in 1953, the transformation from a mining town to ghost town to tourist trap has been impressive to say the least. We were there last October at the same time as a big Motorcycle rally. The place was wall to wall Harleys. Unfortunately, this event is the same weekend we celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday. Makes for a more difficult time finding a room. Lots of photo ops though. :smile:

Once again I'm shooting through a window there Tim! Jerome is pretty much a tourist town now. Thirty years ago, it was almost a commune - nobody but hippies and camp counselors (same/same) went there.

I like those last 2. We were there in 1974 and noticed that most of the residents were hippies, too.

Your first picture looked vaguely familiar. Here's a Kodachrome of the same scene from above your vantage point, taken on 12.26.74.

Regards,
John

JeromeAZ.jpg

Real Name
Chris
Very cool John! Interesting to see what has - or more so what has not - changed over the last 35 years! Unfortunately the park was closed, so the location you shot from is behind a locked gate.

When I was last there in the 90's there was still mining going on in the hills around Jerome. I believe the operation was being run by the Phelps Dodge mining company. The majority of the ore brought up was for copper, but gold and silver (in smaller amounts) were also mined.

There is/was a mining/town museum in the old Douglas mansion in the center of the town. There is/was a room in the museum which has a photo gallery displaying a photographic history of the town.

My first trip to Jerome was in 82, and I visited a few more times in the 80's and 90's. My grandparents used to live in Scottsdale, and I had friends who lived in Cottonwood, so I would take I-40 from LA to Flagstaff, and then highway 89 down to Cottonwood, then Jerome, Prescott, etc.

I miss the magnificent desert and mountain views (I was born in New Mexico), I hope to get back for the Christmas/New Year's holiday next December.

Latest threads

Top Bottom