Mingus Mountain

Real Name
Chris
mingusskyline.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice view, it brings back memories. Is this the southwest side of the mountain? I don't remember there being that many trees around Jerome. I'd love to visit again, but Japan is a long way from Arizona...

Real Name
Chris
Nice view, it brings back memories. Is this the southwest side of the mountain? I don't remember there being that many trees around Jerome. I'd love to visit again, but Japan is a long way from Arizona...
Thanks Sangetsu! It's the road from Jerome to Prescott, going up the mountain - lots of trees!

The,mood,atmosphere,grain....another grand slam for me Chris! Love it!
Thanks Steve!

Oh I like that.
The sleek road grabbing your eyes, the pole, the fog...
Thank you Tormod - but it's smoke, not fog. The forest was on fire! Well, actually underbrush was, as they were conducting a controlled burn right atop the ridge you see there.

very cool! i like it a lot, for the same reasons tormod mentioned...
Thanks Jerry!

I like this too, excellent comp.
Bill, thank you. I had this one and a similar picture without the curve and pole, so this one was an easy choice.

Great shot. I have been on 89A so many times, summer and winter. I love that area. :smile:
Thanks Michael. Yes, I love Jerome/Mingus as well. In fact, just about anywhere over 5000 feet is nice in the summer.

Looks like it would be an awesome motorcycle ride!
And you know, you would not be alone in that appraisal:
c14.jpg

I like this too for several reasons...but first...Chris, the last few pictures you've posted seem to be a bit out of your norm, I'm not used to you out in rural lands, I'm not complaining, but it's a side I haven't seen. Just out in the country for a few days? Along the theme of your other shot of the creekbed, I'm ready for summer to end too! And I'm ready for misty, foggy, cloudy weather, we've had some strange weather here for the last couple days, heavy clouds, cool temps, big time marine influence. I used to love the heat here in summer, but I'm liking real weather more and more, actually considering a move to Portland area, never thought I'd lean that way. I love curvy mountain roads and this catches the feeling of rolling down the road nicely, the distribution power pole adds a weird contrast and this seems to have been shot over the windshield of a Mercedes as you can just see the top of the hood ornament at the bottom of the frame, just right of the double stripe...Cruising the mountains in a classic Merc...looks like a great afternoon.:smile:

Real Name
Chris
Sharp eye Tim!

Actually I have been shooting rural AZ about as long as I have been shooting. But it's true - I do tend toward more urban human subjects. So here's what Jerome has to offer in that vein:
spiritroom.jpg

I haven't been Jerome since my Rodeo days, back then it was very much the ghost town they advertise it to be. The only stores which were open back then were old mom-and-pop places with half empty shelves and cash registers.

I'd like to go back and do some hiking in the hills, and maybe get some pictures of the old mining equipment. Do you know if that old pay-to-enter "ghost town" place is still there outside Jerome? They had an huge collection of old engines, tractors, and other things which mechanically-minded people such as myself enjoy. I remember that they had a monsterous, un-muffled diesel engine which they would start up and run for you if you payed them a few dollars. The sound of the engine echoed across the valley and back.

The next time I make it stateside, I'll try to get back there.

Real Name
Chris
Yeah, the for pay Junk Ghost Town is still there, rustier than ever. This rock pile is right outside of it (and free!) The town is a MAJOR tourist destination now, with expensive restaurants and curio shops everywhere!

rockpile2.jpg

D

Deleted member 960

Really like the motorcycle couple and the Do Not Enter bar shots! Unusual but successful
comp in the cycle shot.

This was taken last October during a big motorcycle rally. This shot is of the same building looking down the street. Wall to wall Harleys.

2925725390_634f170fb8_o.jpg

I am wondering what is around the bend in the first photo. I love when a picture draws you into it.

Jerome looks like an interesting place.

Real Name
Chris
I am wondering what is around the bend in the first photo. ...
More trees, more smoke:

d26.jpg

d27.jpg

Cool shot Michael. A visit to the Spirit room is a must for any visit to Jerome. As they say, "been there, done that, and have the t-shirt":

jerome05.jpg

And Jerome does have a special appeal to bikers:

jerome11.jpg

(The above two pictures are from a project I did on AZ ghost towns last year.)

At least the last one looks like a "real" biker. It takes a little skill to keep one of those old 45's running. Back in the early 90's they said that buyers of new Harleys had an average annual income of over $70k. Their $20k machines sit in the garage most of the month, and never see a rainy day.

When I was young, bikers were rather nasty folk who didn't own a car. slept in cheap motels or parks, and smoked 3 packs of cigarettes (among other things) each day. All had jailhouse tattoos (the kind which are made with a sharpened staple with ink make from plastic ash and toothpaste, don't ask how I know), and got a shower or bath a couple times a week at most.

The bikers nowadays look a lot like the bikers of old, albeit with more teeth, but otherwise there are no similarities. The bikes still say "Harley Davidson", but those too are as different as the old bikes as the new bikers are different from the old ones.

I did a lot of riding around Arizona on a motorcycle years ago. At the time I rode a 2-stroke Yamaha RD400. It wasn't exactly the kind of bike one would pick for such rides (I rode it to Arizona from Florida, btw), but it was definitely an adventure. 2-stroke oil is a little hard to come by in some parts of the country, in Arizona I had to make do with the stuff made for chain saws, but it didn't seem to bother my bike. I got a little taste of the old biker lifestyle (minus the tattoos, missing teeth, and smoking habit), getting to experience $15 a night motels and sleeping in plenty of parks and abandoned buildings. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me at the time.

I missssssss this so much. I went to school in Prescott for two years and miss it so much. Easily one of the most beautiful places in this country. 89A is a blast on a bike or fast car. So many memories.

Sangetsu, I would kill for an RD400 right now!

Latest threads

Top Bottom