Mini lens lust companions for your our big glass

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    What is everyone carrying for small pocket cameras? I had to break away Nikon for this type of lens lust unfortunately. I went with the Panasonic FX01 for it's size, excellent optical stabilizer, and gorgeous color rendition from a pocket camera. Amazing battery life too! Not the best high ISO performance, but I wasn't too worried about that. 28mm equiv. on the wide end too. :Crunk:

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I'm probably going to get a Canon A550 for $150 before long. I "had" a Sony DSC-P100 that I loved, before I accidentally dumped an entire bottle of lens cleaner on it, which got inside the glass and left all sorts of film and grime. Not worth what it would cost to get it repaired! :frown:

3. I have a Casio Exilim Z120, BUT it sucks too bad, I can't bring myself to use any P&S's anymore, If I can't bring my D50 along, Its not worth taking any pictures IMO.

Then again I do mostly sports, so that might skew things...

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I use a Panasonic FZ-7 in my kayak. Its a true sea kayak with a 19.5" beam and ocean cockpit so there's no way of keeping a larger camera in a Pelican between my legs.

The little Panasonic has a 12X optical zoom (Leica glass), and the image stabilisation is very effective. This is from the kayak on the Snake river (Oxbow Bend).

P1000182web.

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've had nothing but good experiences with the Leica lenses on the Panasonic cameras. Every one of them is sharp throughout the zoom range, and some like the FZ-7 and TZ series have amazing reach.

6. Olympus Stylus 410

I use the Stylus 410 for all those place where one wouldn't take an SLR - water park rides, beach surf etc.

Thinking of upgrading it to the new olympus SW 770 - claims to be water proof down to several feet of water.

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    My CP4500 - love that camera.

8. theLoon

theLoon Guest

My wife has been the traditional bearer of the "whew, glad we brought a camera" camera. Her latest is a Panasonic Lumix FX9, which has been terrific. The large lcd is especially nice for showing off the shots. It makes for a pretty good "wallet portfolio".

Of course, every time I use it, I'm reminded why I prefer to lug around several pounds of digital slr (when I'm bothered enough to do so).

9. Shooter

Shooter

May 7, 2007
    New York
    Olympus Stylus 750, nice camera waterproof to about 10 ft. and takes nice pictures. I wish it had a view finder though its hard to see the lcd in bright sunlight.

10. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the Pentax Optio W10. I use it for a pocket camera when I'm fishing since it's rated as waterproof to 5 feet. It hangs around my neck on a cable strap and goes in my shirt pocket. If it rains or I take a spill it's OK.

I figure if I get it any deeper than 5 feet, I've got better things to worry about than the camera! :eek:

Except for being waterproof, I hate it. No viewfinder and a comic-book menu system make it difficult to use. You can't see the screen in the sun and finding anything in the menu is an experience, to say the least.

But it does take decent pictures and I use it where I need to.

Bill

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Seems like a lot of folks around here are using waterproof cameras!

12. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    yeah the olympus sw 770 is waterproof up to 33ft.. just amazing really, for under $400

13. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Someone needs to make a "Toughbook" style ultra compact camera. Something extremely rugged, water proof/resistant, shock proof, etc. I want to keep a camera in the bag on my mountain bike, but I have a feeling just about any camera will get beat up pretty bad in there. My Slingshot or bigger camera backpack provides plenty of isolation from riding over rocks and tree roots.

14. yoyo

yoyo

Nov 9, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FX7

But I may get myself a DMC-LX2. Used it a few times and it rocks...!

15. I'm assuming you mean the 720 SW :) I have the same one! This camera is really meant for taking shots where I don't want to risk my big gear or it's too annoying to bring the big glass.

16. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd be much less upset losing/breaking/having stolen my $229 pocket camera than my D70 + whatever lens is attached to it (or the whole bag).

And I can actually ride my bike with the little camera on my belt rather than 2 Lowepro lens cases and a top-loading camera bag on my belt. :biggrin: