Mini-Tripod Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by jprphotography, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Hey everyone. Tomorrow im going to B&H to do a little shopping :biggrin:. This fall and winter, i want to shoot soccer and basketball with a remotly triggered camera (using a pocket wizard on my D300 to fire my D70s). I want to put the D70s behind the goal with a fisheye lens to get an interesting angle and i was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for mini-tripods. I could really use something thats gonna get low and have a decent load capacity. Thanks!

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I have the mini bogen table top tripod. its pretty decent and very cheap. what kind of load are you trying to hold? I'm sure the D70 and a fisheye would be fine.

3. Yea, its the D70s with a Nikkor 16mm f/2.8 on it.

4. Slik makes a decent mini tripod thats pretty brute and versatile. the one i'm thinking of has a suction cup under the center post.

there is a company that makes a thing exactly for the application you mention but the name escapes me. poke around the sportsshooter site and you should find it in no time.

If i where you, i would use my home made deal. its a triangle cut out of a kitchen cutting board with a counterbored hole drilled in the middle of it. I just bolt any old ball head to it and its good to go. its super cheap and it uses a real ball head, not the dinky little things better suited for little strobes or point and shoots. you can customize it for your application for peanuts too.

5. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Depends how high you want the camera to be. The simplest is a bean bag. Alternatively a Uniloc tripod would do the job, but at a price. Novoflex also do mini tripods that are not toys, as some are. The really tiny ones from other manufacturers are not worth touching IMO. And various companies such as Cullman do small tripods that will hold your gear at about 30cm (1 foot) from the ground. They are not very stable though.

The bean bag has the advantage that it absorbs vibrations.

6. chewbacca7

chewbacca7

Aug 7, 2008
    Lynnwood, WA
    I've always liked the Joby Gorillapods... I own the largest model (3 sizes available) and I added a Slik compact ball head and it works great. It even handles the weight of my D40 with 18-200mm VR lens. You can use it like a standard tripod or wrap the legs around hand rails, chairs, random pipes/poles, etc and it holds quite well.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    B&H

sells a couple of nice Slik models.

Slik Mini-Pro III Tripod with Ball Head $29.95 Slik #611-351

Slik Mini Tripod With 2 Way Panhead $20.95 Slik #611-200

I know a KM shooter who uses one of these as a support, by bracing the legs against his chest. he says it makes a very steady support.

8. exitnine

exitnine

Jun 5, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I have the bogen mini table top tripod too, but after see that "Cope" said that slik mini tripod, I think I am going to get one too, very interesting and price not bad...

9. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    Skip the mini tripod! Go to Sears or any store that sells Lawnmower supplies....get a replacement wheel....they are 8-10 inches in diameter.....about 3 inches high & $15.00 very stable....they have the hole in center .....perfect to bolt your medium to large size ball head.....I have shot Big West Basketball with this & it is great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.