Mini Tripod that's not garbage?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by mf44, Sep 18, 2005.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi,

I need a small mini tripod that's capable of holding a D2x and 17-55. I've glanced at a few, but they all appear to be made for compact cameras. Do I have any options, or am I forced to get a bigger monster? I want something as small as possible, as I don't have a problem finding something to rest it on, but I need more flexibility than a steady bag will lend me. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!

2. rebrewer

rebrewer

Aug 1, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Hi Mike,

It's a matter of physics. The D2x is no featherweight, so you won't be able to support it with toothpics. You want something small; is weight important? Do you have a special purpose for this tripod? Have you considered a monopod?

Bob

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  4. I recently bought the Gitzo G1098, which is a very tiny tripod. Made of "basalt" fiber. Which is to say something akin to fiberglass.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=360176&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I have used it with the D2X and up to the 28-70 2.8 weight wise. I use the RRS 25mm ball head on it. Total well over $400.

It works. Is isn't the most solid tripod there is, but works well in a pinch - or in situations where I wasn't willing to lug a heavier tripod along. I don't even notice the weight of it hanging on a backpack.

This one doesn't go as low as you might want due to a rather long center column. I plan on cutting the column down to about half it's length. Not something I would recommend if you don't know how to cut such tubing.

So far as RRS goes - they seem to be chronically out of stock of many of their products. Something seems to be going on with them.

5. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. The weight isn't so much of a concern as the size is. Some of the locations I am shooting at may deny me entry with a tripod hanging off my bag. Also, I understand it's not going to be cheap. Nothing related to this stuff is...

Paul, that RRS tripod looks like just what I need, but $375 is a bit much. I expect to pay that much for a full size tripod, but since this will be used only in specific cases, I don't really want to spend much more than $200.

A friend of mine suggested these two options:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...877&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...127&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Anyone have any experience with these two options? They look like they can hold a good amount of weight and seem like they can fold down to a small size. Prices aren't too bad either, after seeing the RRS one...

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. I borrowed last week the Manfrotto 055 MF-4 to try it, I must say I was very pleased with it. The max height is 56 inches and the minimum is 5 inches. That's carbon fiber and magnesium tripod around $400 US.

8. I haven't tried those Novoflex pods, though I do have one of their focusing rails and it is very well made.

How about this wooden one? Seems very solid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...827&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Paul, good to hear that worked. I will try that this week. I buy from them first given they make the thing I need.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  9. The lowpod is very nice for close to the ground pictures, very light, easy to move, but limited on height, the feet are soft rubber, so if you rest on a big rock near a brook it will not move.

[​IMG]