Mink building a nest

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Apr 26, 2005.

1. This is my first time seeing a Mink. Interesting animal and way larger than I had imagined.
    [​IMG]

2. I have never seen one in the wild. I did see a mink farm once so at least I knew what they looked like. Cool image, to bad you couldn't get a closer shot.

3. Nice shot!! :D :D :D

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Are you sure it is a mink? Looks more like the size and shape of a muskrat. We had a mink farm in Town years ago, there were always a few escapees running around, they looked more like weasels to me.

5. I wont swear to the ID of it. it was way larger than any muskrat I ever saw. the landowner said it was a mink. long black hairless tail, is that a clue?

6. Hi Dave, great capture. I too have to question if that is a mink?? and if it was larger than a muskrat? male mink dont get bigger than about three pounds and females about 2 pounds max. they are very nocturnal creatures, atleast up here and most wild mink are dark brown except for a white chin and a tail that's tipped with black. Some have one or more irregular white patches on their throats or chests. The only thing the pic has going for it is the ears are short, barely extending above its fur which is the same as a mink. Allot of trap lines up north here specifically for mink etc .........if i had to make an educated guess that would be a muskrat..........and they are considerably bigger than a mink.... think of a mink ferret size max.....
    those a mean buggers too, definitely meat eaters. LOL...........ask my sister, looses more pheasants than one can shake a stick at.....

7. Oopss SORRY!!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops: Was getting impatient as to how long it took to post. LOL.....................sorry about that Dave. IN any event, neat capture........guess we will never know..

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Fixed it for you Keith. Now can I have that 400 2.8?? 8)

Frank

9. Keith,

i read and re read and re read your posts and i got to believe you are right. I believe this animal would have weighed in at 12 to 15 lbs. I will post one other picture of it on land later today if I can. thanks for ALL your posts :)
    Frank- that is expensive editing......

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If it's got a bare tail, then it's a muskrat. Flat tail is a beaver, minks have furry tails. I'd bet on a king-sized muskrat.