Minor Additions to my D40

I have been using the D40 for a few months now and have gradually been getting better results. Couple of things I have added were the SB-400 flash and a Nikor 18-135 AFS lens. A very good walk around lens that gives me a better chance to capture a wider variety of shots.

I still use the smaller kit lens sometimes, but the longer zoom is good and gives more capabilities when out and about. I have tried not to go nuts buying up photograhy products until I have learned more skills.

The D40 is a great beginners camera for someone like me that never had a lot of SLR film experience, so I am having to learn things that more experienced SLR users already knew.

Lynn

i have both the D40 and the D80. I started out with the D40 and took some amazing pictures with it. I had a similar set up on my D40. I had the 18-135 and a SB-600. Youre going to want a lot more things as you get used to your equipment! Thats why I got the D80... and the 50mm 1.8, SB-800s, and the list goes on... have fun with the D40!

Gear lust!

Thanks Layton,

You must go nuts living in Hawaii. You have a million things to shoot whenever you feel like it. Living in a urban area in Texas, I often have to do some driving to get some nature shots.

To get to the ocean from Dallas, you have to drive hundreds of miles. Nothing like the islands though.

Lynn

I have a D40 too and it's a great camera, although people were right saying that i'd grow out of it soon and want to step up.

I'm really looking at the D80 for more on board control and a wider range of lenses i could use, still working off of the kit lens. needless to say i'm feeling some crazy lens lust for just the starter lenses, like the 18-55 vr (i love non-flash photos in the fading light), 55-200mm vr, and a wide angle 12-24mm, and possibly the 18-200mm as the 'do everything' lens. i'd probably just get the 55-200 and the 18-55 for starters, seeing as how those are cheapies.

I also have the D40 and loving it! I don't have any new glass yet nor flash. But being part of Nikoncafe will make you want some! hehe! I might get the new Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (with built in motor of course) as my all around lens. Then take pictures around the French Quarter during sunset. :) The one lens I can afford. :)

I won't list all the camera bodies I've been thru over the last 4-5 years, but suffice to say that it's been an embarrassingly high number and includes all of Nikon's finest over the last few years. My current primary camera is a D3.

I state that background not to brag, but as a basis to encourage all owners of the D40 to retain that camera whenever you move up to another body as your primary. I recently sold my D300 and D2X that were "second cameras" to the D3 and bought a D40 as a light "grab and go" camera (ala Uncle Frank) and I'm very pleased. You really can't beat the image quality (especially at higher iso) in any other low cost/light weight camera, and you'll miss it for some situations if you let it go. For my uses the sensor has abilities that I don't think the higher resolution consumer cameras can match.

I always encourage folks who are enjoying this hobby to use the best tool they're willing to afford, but if you ever pick up a D40 along the way, consider carefully before selling it (if you don't have to) to move up.

Racefan speaks true. I recently 'had' to re-acquire a D40 to replace the one I sold during an upgrade. I'm enjoying it so much I haven't picked up my D300 for two weeks now.

That should tell me something, eh?!

In all fairness, I'm not a working shooter so I can use whatever tickles my fancy and the D40 is just plain fun and easy to use. I pack it in a small Domke bag with a 16-85mm VR, 70-300mm VR, and an SB-800. I've less than $1800 in that particular kit and there's not a lot that an amateur can't do with it.

I've done some of my best work with my D40 , you can do a lot with the gear you have .

D40Taranaki214m.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:890:
I have been using the D40 for a few months now and have gradually been getting better results. Couple of things I have added were the SB-400 flash and a Nikor 18-135 AFS lens. A very good walk around lens that gives me a better chance to capture a wider variety of shots.

I still use the smaller kit lens sometimes, but the longer zoom is good and gives more capabilities when out and about. I have tried not to go nuts buying up photograhy products until I have learned more skills.

The D40 is a great beginners camera for someone like me that never had a lot of SLR film experience, so I am having to learn things that more experienced SLR users already knew.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, I was a 35mm shooter that went digital. I bought the D40 as I was on a limited budget. The lens choices you made are great. The 18-135 is a great walk around and the kit lens is really under rated.

Here are a couple shots from the beach (Oregon Coast) where we've been hanging out for the last week or so.

Caught this guy at the beach below. 100 ft elevation @ 100 yards with my 18-200 at 200mm.

SurfsUp_1.jpg

Sunset a few days after we arrived.

Sunsetbeach.jpg

US Coast Guard.

USCoastguard.gif

The D40 is a very good camera and I'm so glad that I got it before one of the upper range cameras like the D300. It's been a great learning tool for me and a lot of fun too.

N

Nuteshack

I won't list all the camera bodies I've been thru over the last 4-5 years, but suffice to say that it's been an embarrassingly high number and includes all of Nikon's finest over the last few years. My current primary camera is a D3.

I state that background not to brag, but as a basis to encourage all owners of the D40 to retain that camera whenever you move up to another body as your primary. I recently sold my D300 and D2X that were "second cameras" to the D3 and bought a D40 as a light "grab and go" camera (ala Uncle Frank) and I'm very pleased. You really can't beat the image quality (especially at higher iso) in any other low cost/light weight camera, and you'll miss it for some situations if you let it go. For my uses the sensor has abilities that I don't think the higher resolution consumer cameras can match.

I always encourage folks who are enjoying this hobby to use the best tool they're willing to afford, but if you ever pick up a D40 along the way, consider carefully before selling it (if you don't have to) to move up.

glad i picked up a d40 for my wife (can't sell it, lol). i'm confident once i pick up a d700 everything else will go. the d40/sig 30 1.4 is an animal!
2690839353_1924ae9f80_o.jpg

im a new D40 owner as of yesterday and i absolutley love it. Its my first DSLR camera and from my pics, im a n00b. Im doing alot of reading on what shooting modes i should use at what time. Some pics have came out pretty nice i think....

2769692456_66b8c03c08_o.png

Positive Post in this thread

It is very encouraging to hear positive post from more experienced photographers. The D40 does seem to have a loyal following of people who accept it's advantages, and choose to overlook any disadvantages. I am still amazed at some of the images people have made with this camera. It seems to really build that "bridge" camera between the world of P&S and true DSLR. It kind of lets the Genie out of the bottle for many people.

When I was in Cancun in May, I made some stunning pictures of the resort where we stayed. Pictures I could never have made with any of my P&S cameras. It really encouraged me to enjoy photography more often, instead of just holidays and special events.

Keep using your personal choices - "it's all good" if you enjoy it.

Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:
I love mine too.

This was taken last Friday on my road trip out in West Texas with the 18-55 kit lens.

354127496_mzgGk-L.jpg

Another pic from Cancun

DSC_0276.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom