1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Minor League Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by WCBike, Jul 9, 2008.

1. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    I had an opportunity today to take a workshop sponsored by the local community college. We got to pretend to be professional sport's photographers for a day. Press passes, Instruction, access to photograpers box, etc. Fun day. These are my favorite 5 pics.

2654029166_6428513903_b.

2654030482_d7a3956635_b.

2653207809_fc740f9a5b_b.

2653209579_6b15aa8510_b.

2653211601_1063ccb499_b.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Do you have a foot fetish? :redface:

3. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Hmmmm....

Now you have me thinking. My wife does have about 30 pairs of shows in her closet

4. I know everyone says to zoom/shoot tight, but this is taking it too far!!! :tongue:

Seriously, do you have any showing the players themselves, and not just their shoes? They're nice shots, well exposed and sharp and all, but....

5. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Yes, but they stink

I took over 300 shots and have all the typical batter swinging, pitcher pitching and umpire calling a strike. Ho Hum very boring. I liked these for the very reason that they are not the typical shot. I guess that is what makes this forum so much fun. Thanks for the comments.

6. True that! Like I said they are nice, it's just not what I expected! :smile:

7. Are the cleats in the last shot legal, or next season's hot shoe?

8. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    I think to be legal, they have to have a Nike Logo:biggrin:

9. Thank goodness. Graeme will undoubtedly need a new pair of shoes for next season, and those looked very expensive.

10. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Impressive

Based on your meta data you did these with a D80 at ISO 100 & 200 with about noonday sun. Very nice. How did it perform when it came to hitters swinging and base runners? Were these shot RAW then edited? What white balance setting did you go with?

11. chettrick

chettrick

Jun 12, 2008
    florida
    Fantastic view...loved it. Like you said, the batter swinging shots start to look the same.

12. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    James, thanks for your interest.

This workshop was sponsored by a local Community College. The photographer giving the course is a team photographer for two minor leage baseball teams in NJ and a minor league Hockey team. I asked him the question about raw. He felt that if you were shooting for a Sports Illustrative cover maybe, otherwise jpeg is fine. Also thought auto white balance would be fine.

Very low key friendly guy. He offered to let me use his 400mm/f2.8, but I chickened out. I was afraid I would damage it. I took over 300 photos with all the usual shots. I just found they were boring. The camera performed great. For the most part I used the nikon 70-300VR lens on a monopod.

I don't have any aspirations to be anything other than a hobbiest. The thing that is so appealing about minor league baseball is the family atmosphere. There were probably over 400 kids from day camps attending the game. They had some kind of a silly activity between each inning. Just to give you an idea, they had two huge eyeball mascots race around the bases. The race was sponsored by the local optometrist. They had Mr. Blue Claw baseball (a regular fan) sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. He made Roseanne Barr sound like Pavaroti.

All in all it was a fun day. The camera and lens performed way beyond my abiliy

13. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    I was asking because I was curious how well the D80 performed in tracking movment. Primarily runners on the basepath. My main thing when it comes to shooting sports activities is being able to acquire the object without the lens doing a lot of hunting. Something that locks on pretty quickly. Some bodies have a predictive capability but I don't think the D80 is one of them.

14. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE

I didn't notice any probems with the D80 focusing quickly enough. The problem was more my inability to anticipate the action. I caught several full shots of runners, but, I just didn't find them interesting.

I am interested to see the new underwater RAW shots you take. The biggest advantage for me in shooting RAW is that the physical dimensions (lengh & width) of the picture are slightly bigger than if the same shot is taken as a JPEG. I know it doesnt make sense, but try it you will see what I mean.

This allows more of a fudge factor if you are cropping the picture for framing.

15. I have a D80 and during daylight I have no problem getting the action shots. As it starts getting dark, needless to say, the ISO has to go up in order to get the shutter speed high enough-- at that point I do have a problem with grain. I usually use aperture priority and in daylight use ISO 200 to keep the shutter speed up near 4000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.