Minor Problem: dust behind my view finder

Hi,

Just got back from hiking the Sierra Buttes on a windy day. Took the D800e and my 24-70mm 2.8 lens. The trail to the buttes is dusty to say the least. While approaching the peak, we were experiencing wind gusts of up to 30-40 mph. Dust was kicked up in clouds.

Long story short, I notice there is some dust lodged behind my view finder! It looks as though the rubber ring around the view finder isn't dust or air tight. There is a piece of glass in the body behind the plastic cover. I used some shop air to blow some of the dust through to the other side of the viewfinder. This worked a bit, but there is still some haze and a few tiny pieces of dust back there.

Have you experienced this? Is there a way to take the view finder's eye piece out to thoroughly clean it?

just an update:

It looks like the view finder and the view finder closer (for long exposures) comes off if you unscrew one screw. The dust is behind the view finder plastic cover and just before the open/close flap. I assume there is a glass view finder in the camera of the body, which is sealed?

Would it be safe to remove the cover to clean?

Any ideas or suggestions? Should I just send it in to get cleaned?

Hi Matt,

I think it might cost more than it's worth to clean it. And, it'll probably happen again.

Personally, I don't worry about dust in my viewfinder any more. It might or might not be there the next time. The only dust that worries me is that on my sensor, but even that can be taken care of one way or another.

Thanks, Isamu!

I have since used compressed air, and removed 98% of the dust that was trapped behind the view finder cover. I've also ordered a new BM-12 LCD cover, because mine was scratched from trail dust. I'll most likely keep both lcd covers (one for when I hike and one for when I need to see the LCD).

Hi Matt,

I think it might cost more than it's worth to clean it. And, it'll probably happen again.

Personally, I don't worry about dust in my viewfinder any more. It might or might not be there the next time. The only dust that worries me is that on my sensor, but even that can be taken care of one way or another.

Real Name
Colin Carter
i hate looking through the viewfinder and seeing dust spots, luckily, upto now they have been on the focusing screen in the mirror box so easy to just blow off.

my canon cameras always seemed to attract way more vf dust than my nikons have. My D3 never had any over 4.5 years

Hey, Colin--

I was lucky to get most of the dust off with the air blower and compressed air. Looks to be a normal part of landscape shooting...lol

Thanks for your response.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom