Minor site changes will be posted here

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I'm going to use this thread to post relatively minor site changes, which hopefully members will find to be improvements.

1) Conversations (PMs) are now searchable.

2) There is no lower character limit for searches. Eg, you can search 2-letter words like "F5".

3) There is now a Post New Thread button on all pages including the forum index.

4) We are doing a trial run of Post Likes, Thanks, etc. You can turn off alerts for Likes here.

5) There is an unread post counter in the navigation bar which resets when you mark forums read.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    6) IMG HVY prefix has been removed. Overall consensus with admin/mod team was that it is unnecessary to keep it.

7) The Moderators have asked me to remove the "Super" part :).

8) Added option to remove sidebar from frontpage and forum index view. You will find it in your preferences.

9) Added lazy load option to preferences.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Good. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    A lot of our members greet one another using their real (first) names rather than their usernames.

Some of us are terrible at remembering names, so I added a place where you can enter your real name (completely optional) at the bottom of this page: https://www.nikoncafe.com/account/personal-details

If you enter a name there, it will show up in your posts (under location) like mine does to the left. Others may choose to put their name in their sig like Pa in the post above mine. Any which way or none at all is fine :).

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    The new front page is nice, I'm use to the layout from the other sites so that may play into it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Something else I'm not sure is necessary here -- and that is the "ratings" system. Makes this site feel like a popularity contest! I don't think that really meshes well with the overall original and continued concept of NikonCafe......

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'll go a little contrary here. I like the recent / Unread / ...

Recent includes things you may have already read but want to read again. I don't really see what the difference between Unread and New Posts is, am I missing something here?

I do like having an Unread/New Post option, it helps me find threads I might be interested in looking at.

8. I can live with the wording change from "New Posts" to "Unread" -- it's the numbers thingy that I find unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Medium theme is now darker medium by popular request.

10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Excellent! And I really like the new avatar!

11. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Thanks, Karen. It's from a couple years back. That little girl on my desk is now a "three-nager" :).

---------------

I didn't know whether to start a new thread about this or not. But a couple of members raised a valid concern that the post ratings addon (like, thank) creates a ranking list on the Members tab. There was already a ranking list on that tab based on post count.

It's probably not good for the site to have any kind of ranking list at all, and the only way I could remove those is to remove the tab. From what I could see, the only other things on that tab were a list of moderators and admins and member birthdays. So I installed a widget to show today's birthdays on the front page and forum index (lower right column, visible only to members), and we have the other widget already which shows active moderators and admins.

Let me know what you think. This is easy enough to revert.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  12. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    Ranking does not fit the culture of this forum, IMO.

13. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Option added to lazy load images: https://www.nikoncafe.com/account/preferences

Lazy loading images means that images will not load until you scroll to their position. This can make pages load faster and reduce data usage but also makes screen position jerk at times and sometimes you end up waiting for images, especially if you scroll quickly.

There's also an option on that preferences page to not view ads. Currently this does nothing, but it you set it now to "No", then you won't see ads once we have them up.

14. rpracing

rpracing

Mar 7, 2011
    S. WI
    Anyway to disable the "recent posts", members online (should be on the bottom, no idea why forum software programmers feel the need to put it on the right side) frame on the right side of the main forum page?

15. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Disabling recent posts is not possible at at this time. But I will keep an eye out for an addon that makes it possible.

Why should members online be on the bottom?

16. Have to agree with Connie on this!!! Tried to figure out how to say it yesterday,
    but this is exactly why a lot of those websites I like, but don't really stay because
    of all the "ratings" you feel pressured into using or needing to accumulate.
    Nikon Café is the, well, the Café... :)

17. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Is the ratings system you are referring to the like, agree, funny, etc. ?

18. Yes, John...
    Do you like them? :)

19. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I do.

Often there are times when I don't have something original or relevant to say but I want to acknowledge the poster that I have seen the image and I do like it. Rather than clutter the thread with the same short meaning reworded or quoted I would usually bypass.

Here's a nice example imo - I just received a like from Morten, a long time friend here and was really happy that he did. We live busy lives and instead of a comment or a pm he clicked the like and I received an acknowledgment that he is still around and that probably sooner than later we will reconnect.

Kind of like passing a friend on the street and waving hello instead of stopping to chat. Can you do that all the time? Of course not.

Will it promote a dozen likes and no comments? I don't think so. Friendship here is phenomenal.

Like anything it can be misused or misunderstood - but I have seen it in action at other sites including the new sister sites(mu43, serious compacts, etc.) and I have never felt like anyone there wanted to compile "likes" or that it was a thing. Facebook, IG - sure.

I also feel like this is the last place that would ever misuse a tool whatever tool that may be.

20. Actually, that's part of it, yes -- but then when you look at the member roster in addition to members being listed in order of how many posts they have written, there is now a ranking of members by how many "likes" and such that they have received.