Minute moss beetle

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry S., May 20, 2005.

1. Since I can't offer any outdoor pics at the moment (and when I have time the weather is a catastrophy) I thought I would post a lab shot for a change.

My colleague at work asked me to take pics of the new species of the genus Hydraena he's going to describe in his next paper.
    Here's the one that I like most. It is about 3 mm long and lives in undisturbed forest streams in China.
    Shot with D1X and a Leitz Photar 25mm attached to a Novoflex bellows. Don't wonder about DOF - the image is a composite of 6 focal layers.

original.

Hope you like it.
    Cheers

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    3mm???? that's pretty small...the detail you captured is amazing to say the least!

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Well done, Harry!!
    Jerry Snider

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent Harry. I can understand why your colleague came to you for the pictures. :wink:

5. Thanks for sharing this specialized aspect of photography. Sandwiching the 6 layers certainly gives you nice depth of field on this tiny critter.

6. Cool shot Harry!! :D :D :D

7. Interesting and well done Harry, what do you use to combine the different images?

Martin

8. Thanks all!
    I will go to the country-side now, but I will explain the technique in the evening. I have done that at DPR more than a year ago, but will gladly explain it again as soon as I am back home.
    Meanwhile you may look at my master-piece so far which I posted at DPR at that time. This little weevil (4 mm long, 2.5 mm high) was composed of 14(!) layers. The pic is quite large (to show all the detail) so I will only post the link:
    http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/image/23122662/original
    See you later!

9. Wow that Weevil is something else!

Martin

10. Quite extraordinary. Been looking at your Pbase site and I love the Jewel Beetle from Burma. However the ones that really blew me away were those from the Staphylinidae family. I have never ever seen pictures like this in my life. Those colours, shape and details are simply incredible. I have added the site to 'my favourites' as I need more time to view it properly.
    So be warned I am going to be asking questions.

BW. Bob F.

11. The staphylinids are indeed amazing creatures. They have occupied almost every possible habitat except oceans. The problem with them is that they are difficult to identify, not only because they are so numerous, about 40.000 described species and that's probably only 10% of what really roams this planet.
    Anyway, I'm ready for your questions.

12. Thanks Martin!

Actually I promissed to tell you the technique for this multi-focal-layer photography, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait till tomorrow. I just returned from a days work in my wild garden (5000 sqm) which I try to free from brambles and bushes, and I'm terribly exhausted.
    I'll contrive this tutorial tomorrow morning (I will do it more detailed this time) and post it in the technical forum as it might be of general interest.
    Cheers

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry,

I should have looked at your site sooner. You have an incredible collection there, and obviously the talent to match.

Outstanding work!!

14. Frank, I'm embarrassed, thanks a lot for this very nice compliment.

15. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017