Mirabilis jalapa a.k.a. Four O'Clocks

Hi All,

This is 'Mystery Plant' number two. I decided to try the Burpee Shaker Cans this year for Perennials and Annuals. The problem with the shaker cans is that you can't always identify the seedlings that sprout. So, can someone identify this flower for me? It appears to only bloom near twilight. I had to try a few different lighting techniques including the R1C1...

large.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 106879

View attachment 106880

View attachment 106881

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also seen them in bluish-purple.
They grow wild in several places I have seen.

They are beautiful
Super shots

To me it looks like Mirabilis jalapa - Don Diego de la Noche; I've seen them with white, yellow and pink blossoms.

Thank you for the identification Sabrina. I will research the species. I transplanted this flower last week because it was root bound. I wasn't sure if it was going to make it and continue to flower. I put it in a larger pot along with a miniature purple dahlia. So far, they seem quite content.

I have also seen them in bluish-purple.
They grow wild in several places I have seen.

They are beautiful
Super shots

Hi Gale,

Thank you. I think it will be blooming for at least a week or two. I was watching a movie with my husband last evening and noticed that the blossom seemed to be fully open as twilight approached. I plan to study this flower thoroughly over the weekend. Right now it is about 18 to 20 inches tall!!

They are also open first thing in the morning
They don't like bright light...lol

Ooooh!! I didn't know that!! I'm usually not an early bird...I am definitely a night owl!! I will check them right now. Thanks Gale!! :biggrin:

7:30 a.m. Too late, they were already closed!! Looks like I will really have to be an early bird tomorrow!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabrina,

I found their common name...Four O'Clocks!! I should have realized what they were based on their behavior!! Thank you so much for the lead.

Crystall...
We used to have a yard full of 4 o'clocks,
and a bug that I nicknamed the hummingbird moth...
Very large, fat bug that hovered just like hummingbirds.

Hope you also see those!

Very nice Crystal! I didn't know what they were called either but I've seen them before, and you've captured them very nicely.

Crystall...
We used to have a yard full of 4 o'clocks,
and a bug that I nicknamed the hummingbird moth...
Very large, fat bug that hovered just like hummingbirds.

Hope you also see those!

Hi Cheryle,

I have a few hummingbird moths in my garden, but I haven't managed a decent image. Maybe I can catch them at the four o'clocks tomorrow evening. Thanks for the info.

Very nice Crystal! I didn't know what they were called either but I've seen them before, and you've captured them very nicely.

Thanks Steve. They really are pretty; but I didn't realize that they can become invasive. Fortunately, all of my flowers are contained in pots.

Is this a hummingbird moth ?
IMG_0791_2.jpg

IMG_0793_2.jpg

Yep!! They are very flighty. I had one in my garden this morning. He seemed to favor the butterfly bush and the heliotrope. I am hoping that I got a decent shot of him this time!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom