Mirror Lock Up

Unlike my D70, it looks like my D2x needs to have AC power in order to lock up the mirror as that option in the menu list is grayed out.

I have two specs on the CCD sensor that I need to get off but can't get to it without the AC power adapter?

What about the mirror up setting on the shot selector dial? What's the difference between that and the mirror lock up?

I just put my camera on bulb and use a mechanical cable release locked down to hold the shutter open. Be sure your battery is charged and then go for it. Barring that I have had my wife hold the shutter release down when in bulb and did it that way.

Hmmmm

After my wife "mistakenly" slammed my finger in the door to the tune of 12 stitches and almost cut the damn thing off....I'm not so sure I'd trust her holding my shutter open.

(Please don't tell her I said that?)

greyflash said:
I just put my camera on bulb and use a mechanical cable release locked down to hold the shutter open. Be sure your battery is charged and then go for it. Barring that I have had my wife hold the shutter release down when in bulb and did it that way.

I thought about using bulb to do it. However, after I read this post on the Nikonian forum, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

The difference is that the AC adpter allows you to turn the camera on and lock the mirror up in the custom settings menu without putting a electrical charge to the sensor. This allows any dust to be blown off of the sensor. If you use the bulb setting in the manual exposure mode, you are sending an electrical charge to the sensor as if you were making an exposure. Any dust that is near the sensor will be drawn to it like a magnet and it will become almost impossible to blow the dust off.

bravocharlie said:
I thought about using bulb to do it. However, after I read this post on the Nikonian forum, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

The difference is that the AC adpter allows you to turn the camera on and lock the mirror up in the custom settings menu without putting a electrical charge to the sensor. This allows any dust to be blown off of the sensor. If you use the bulb setting in the manual exposure mode, you are sending an electrical charge to the sensor as if you were making an exposure. Any dust that is near the sensor will be drawn to it like a magnet and it will become almost impossible to blow the dust off.

That is bogus and has been disproved over and over again by many different studies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom