Misc. Photos from this weekend

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by craigcappy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Shot two football games and one soccer game. I had a serious problem with my main lens. I have some night shots included. Your thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

1. 102495100.jpg

2. 102495094.jpg

3. 102495092.jpg

4. 102495086.gif

5. 102495085.jpg

6. 102495078.jpg

7. 102495081.jpg

8. 102495083.jpg

9. 102495099.jpg

10. 102495105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow Craig....low light, back light and harsh light....but you did a fine job of managing the situations. Nice action captured. Some gentle noiseware can handle the situation if necessary. So sorry to hear your lens had issues, I hope it's nothing serious.

3. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

pictures no workie

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    What Topher said

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    what Mark said....

6. What they all said !

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Some nice actions shots from the weekend Craig. I tried to send you an e-mail, but you have that feature and PM's turned off here on the site. Send me an e-mail when you get a chance and if you want to talk. [email protected]

8. Nice capture in No. 1, did the play result in a yellow or did play continue?

9. wow...
    first of all... great shots
    especially #8.... wonderful
    so......
    which lens was malfunctioning?
    what happened?

i think you did well

10. Think you did well for having to cope with equipment faliures. Keep up the good work.

11. I want to thank anyone for commenting. Surprisingly the gal in shot number one did not get a card at all. Play continued.

There are five set screws on the bottom of a 400mm lens. I was having one hell of a time keeping the carmera foucused. The lens is 2.5 years old. I was shooting in aperture priority and the camera jumped to f6 and would not focus. Turned the camera off and on, took the lens off and remounted it. When I did I noticed that the mount was very loose. I did not bring any tools with me. Went to the trainer on the field but he did not have a driver that small. I changed before I went to the game and left my pocket knife at home. I found a grounds keeper who had a pocket knifve and I used it to tighten the screws. Remounted the lens and it worked. When back to shoot and found that the aperture ring would not stay set. Locked and unlocked the ring, it kepted going to F6 and stay. I had to hold the aperture ring to be able to shoot. I did this for the first half, second half I did something crazy, I could not get enough reach with a 200mm F2, I was shooting at F4 with the 400mm no problems at 5000 ISO, ( This the only problem with the D3, full frame) so I pulled out the 2x extender and used it with the 200mm, finshed the shoot with this combo. The night football photos I posted where with the 2x..200mmF2; bumped up to 6500 ISO with the 200mm F2 combo with OK results.

Got home late, tighten the screws again, put the ring won't lock, shot the soccer game Sunday with 1.4x and the 400mm, worked just ok, I have not put the 400mm alone yet. I am afraid to. I can't send the lens back now for repair, too much on my plate. Any ideas?

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Hmm, that is strange Craig. If I had a spare 400 I would loan it to you, but I don't have one...yet! So it seemed to work fine with the TC, but not when it was mounted by itself on the camera. To me it sounds like somehow the aperture ring is loose and needs to be tightened, but I have no idea how you would go about doing that.

I know it's probably different, but I just whipped out my 80-200 f/2.8 lens and I see there are 3 small phillips head screws right below the aperture ring. Do you have the same thing? Maybe a shot of the ring or a shot of the problem might help us figure it out.