Misc shots from Viera

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Haven't posted in a while and just getting caught up from when Chris (from Alabama) was here so thought I'd post a few from that visit.

These were all with my recent standard combo~300/f4 afs + 1.7tc, except the scenic which was taken with Chris' Tokina 12-24/f4. All handheld and shot between ISO100 & 250.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really liked the red on the leading edge of the far wing!
    [​IMG]

There's been some recent discussion about Reddish Egrets and Little Blue Herons I thought I'd include this fairly decent sampling of a Little Blue Heron, again for comparison.
    [​IMG]

And for those who are interested in seeing at least a portion of what Viera looks like, this was taken with Chris' Tokina 12-24 lens. He was kind enough to let me play with it for a few shots. It was the first time I've ever shot with a really wide lens before. And I'm not much of a landscape photog so pardon it if it's not up to standard! :wink: I think I could have a lot of fun with a lens like this!! Thanks Chris for the few minutes of fun!
    [​IMG]

2. Really like the GBH and the Glossy Ibis. Well done Kevin.

3. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

They are all nice Kevin.The little blue Heron gets my vote for top honors.

4. NIce series, perfectly exposed Kevin. Nicely done bud! man am I living on the wrong side of the world. LOL!!!

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hi Kevin
    Glad to see some of your work back up !!
    Good stuff as always, using my fav new combo too. :biggrin:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice images Kevin.
    Very well done. :>))

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very impressive shots from the 300 f4 + 1.7 TC Kev, especially hand held. Makes one wonder how much is gained by having a 300 2.8, with its much higher cost and weight. What mode did you shoot these in?

8. WWO love the glossy flight shot and seeign the landscape of viera makes me wish for February even more

9. Hi Gordon and Pete! Funny how different people always have a different favorite from a series. Glad you took time to look and comment! Thanks!

10. My wife's a realtor and a mortgage broker. I'm sure she could help you out! :wink:

Thanks for the compliment, Keith! The postings here of late have been of such high caliber that it really makes me strive to reach the next level. So starting at the bottom, I think I've finally moved up one notch. :wink: There's a long way to go but I'm enjoying the process.

11. Gee, thanks, Ben! I think your posting just made my day (and my week)!:redface: :smile:

You guys from California just keep posting one incredible shot after another so I feel obligated to try to contribute to the Florida contingent, just to keep the country balanced! :wink:

I really am liking the combo, except for trying to track faster birds in flight. I was getting so exasperated trying to track some terns with this combo that I deleted most of them. Only ended up with 20 keepers and maybe only a few worth posting after taking about 100.

We gotta figure something out to get us into that 500mm prime range! :wink:

12. Hi Gale! Thanks for the nice words!

You know how it is out there at Viera when the action is high, but I always try to remember what Dao taught us that day when we shot with him. I've been trying to take my shots in a more deliberate fashion. Still won't go out without my camera, though! :wink:

13. Thank you, master Frank!! I've been very pleased with this combo and have gotten to a point where I'm getting more and more crisper shots with it. It's taken a while but I sure like the reach.

I'm often thinking about the f2.8 version and if it would be worth it to upgrade. Not sure if the focusing is faster but the extra stop of light would come in handy. I guess the trade off would be less handholding and more tripod shooting. Still think I'd rather have the reach, though.

As for shooting mode, these were all in Aperture priority. I usually try to mix things up a bit and play around with manual mode but it seems more challenging to do at Viera vs. say Gatorland where that's the mode I predominantly use.

I'm getting very anxious for MI3 and looking forward to shooting with old friends and meeting new ones. It's always a learning experience, too!

14. Hi Mike! I think the glossy is my favorite, too. I was quite happy with the 4 or 5 flight shots I got of him coming in for a landing!

Looking forward to finally meeting you in Feb. I've admired your work for so long now and everyone I meet speaks very highly of you! Let the countdown begin..... :wink:

15. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice shots Kevin. I think I like the heron and flying ibis the best. I haven't seen too many pics of flying ibis's.

I'm glad you enjoyed playing with the 12-24. I took a few shots with it when I was there, but other than that, haven't had much of a chance to do much with it.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Kevin. I was very interested in the Viera shot as I'm considering that lens.

17. Thanks Chris and Harry!

I went back to the exif on the Viera shot and it was taken at 12mm. I've always heard mention of the build quality of the Tokina and this one was really nice. At half the price of the Nikon, it sure seems to be a sweet deal! I've been eyeing it myself...maybe one of these days....

Thanks for stopping by and again, thanks for the great company and a great day of shooting!