Misplaced my SB600...

Can't officially classify it as lost until I've done an exhaustive search of the whole clean house, cars, etc. but as it stands right now, I've misplaced my SB600. In case it doesn't turn up (I actually may have thrown it out!) I'm planning to buy another.

With my Christmas money about a month ago I bought myself a stand, umbrella and some gels. I was just planning to get them out and try my hand at off-camera lighting this weekend and now I'm without a flash!

So...what's a suitable replacement? Don't want to spend too much money in case I never really get a grip on external lighting, but would like one with TTL capabilities and the ability to be triggered remotely / by a commander flash. It looks like the SB700 is what I should go for, but if there are any others I should look into, please let me know! :biggrin:

Thanks, Ann

For a casual SB-600 user, the obvious choice would be the SB-700 if you are looking to spend in the same ballpark.

I risk getting known as the 'Metz pusher' because of suggesting this before, but the Metz 50 AF-1 is a very good strobe (read the reviews @ the link). $100 less than the SB-700. More powerful. Fast recycling. Built-in optical slave as well as slave mode in the Nikon CLS system. Made in Germany. Currently out-of-stock at B&H and Adorama, easy to understand why.

My SB-600 has been relegated to backup status, behind my two 48 AF-1's (predecessor to the 50).

hth,

Thanks for the suggestions all! I'm still hoping that my SB600 turns up somewhere, although I looked everywhere I thought it might be and didn't find it this weekend. In case it is lost for good, I'll take the suggestions below into consideration. Or who knows, if it does show up and I like using off-camera lighting that much, maybe I'll end up needing another speedlight regardless.

Thanks again!
Ann

Good luck with your search. I found my lost external HD after 2 months of looking.

As for the SB600. I have one I purchased new 1 year ago for 248.00 shipped.. I'm looking for a second one & thought I could pick up a cheap used one..But 250.00 seems to be the going price for used right now. So if you don't find it..I'd be looking at the SB700 for 329.00 new.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom