Miss Nancy Patton

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by srwatters, Sep 9, 2008.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Playboy SE model Nancy Patton from the "How's About a Beer" Dallas invitational shoot.

Model: Nancy Patton
    MUA: Brad Overcash

Nikon D3, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/160 @ 105mm
    [​IMG]

Nikon D3, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/160 @ 90mm
    [​IMG]

Comments appreciated as always.

2. Looking good,reminds me of a young Linda Carter(wonder woman) Oh and the picture is nice also.

3. Really nice work Scott.

4. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Jim. Yes I do see a little 'Wonder Woman' there :biggrin:
    Thanks Anthony!

5. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    lovely work Scott... what was the lighting?

6. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Donamari.

Key light is a 4x3' softbox with egg crate grille on a Hensel 500ws Integra Pro Plus. It's camera right and above eye level pointing down. Fill is a 48x16" strip box on another Hensel 500ws head. It's bounced off the ceiling to provide fill and BG lighting. The rim light is a third Hensel 500ws head with a 7" reflector and 30 degree grid. Metered for f/5.6 to f/6.3 at the key and f/4.5 fill for very low ratio glamour lighting. Rim light at f/5.

7. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    ok the strip bounced off the ceiling has me completely intrigued... where did you focus that? Sorry... i'm being a pain but I have lowish ceilings in my studio so bouncing a strip is totally doable, but when I've done it, I think it was more as a hairlight... i didn't get that much fill. thanks Scott!

8. great lighting and work, and lovely model. Wonder if the light intrudes?

9. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    The ceilings were about 9-10 feet in the room where we shot. Imagine where you would normally put the fill strobe (opposite the key 60-90 degrees). Then I turn the strobe head up and raise the box so it is high enough not to make a catchlight in the model's eyes. This means pretty close to the ceiling in this case. The light bounces and provides fill plus also gives the BG a bit of a kick. This is needed because the grid makes the key very directional.

In the studio where I have 15' ceilings, I tend to use the 5' octobox as this bounce fill. It gives me the look of balanced lighting in the fore and backgrounds, and also helps with fill on the subject. I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but I stumbled onto it while messing around using the big octo as ambient lighting, then forgetting to turn off the slave trigger :redface:

YMMV.

10. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks!

You're not the first one to say that...

I might have to clone it out and post a second version to see how it looks.

11. scott,
    great job
    beautiful model
    love the lighting

and the LINDA CARTER comment above by Jim..
    SPOT ON

12. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Scott, lovely...let me rephrase that...VERY LOVELY.

13. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Greg & Brad!

14. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    How about this one?

[​IMG]

15. i like that one, as well... scott

16. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    ah, thanks! If you think about it, I'd love to see a picture of your set up. I'm always interested in different ways to use the lights and since I have relatively low ceilings in my studio, I figure, why not use them? Thanks again!