Missing icons..... and Video card conflict....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I am using Windows 20H2 version 19042.1237....

1. All the sudden I am missing the icon to "Safely disconnect this device"...... It used to be in the far lower right corner when I clicked on the "^" symbol...... Where did it go? I use it fairly often to disconnect my phone or external HD's from my PC....

2. I have a GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC video card. I do NO gaming on this PC. When using PS and entering the short cut for UnDo (Cntrl+Alt+Z) a GeForce Experience window opens up about 80% of the time. The default command for opening that window is the same as the undo short cut in PS. I cannot change the video gaming window short cut. I suspect the module was downloaded when I recently upgraded the driver.

1631807559623.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are the nVidia apps on my PC:

1631807308429.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can I delete the GeForce Experience s/w with no deterioration to the video card performance for PS?

Thanks, everyone! As a non-techie, I suddenly feel that I am losing control of my PC! LOL! Next I need to solve the problem that my NEC calibration software will no longer work! I think that is a permissions issue.....

If you can't find the Safely Remove Hardware icon, press and hold (or right-click) the taskbar and select Taskbar settings . Under Notification Area, choose Select which icons appear on the taskbar. Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media and turn it on.

Real Name
Tim
re the GF Experience - I make it a point to do a custom install anytime I upgrade to make sure that doesn't get installed...it's an annoying "feature" imo.... :p

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
@jon.oman

I checked and the Safely Remove Hardware option setting is already turned on. But the icon doesn't show up in the task bar nor in the pop up box that appears when I click on the "^" symbol.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I never use one of those software capabilities; I always just remove the external device from the computer by removing the USB cable or whatever some of the old cables were. Never had any problems.
There have been times when I tried to remove the hardware and it was still being used by an app - unbeknown to me. I prefer to know that I can safely remove an item and that is has been shut down correctly.

@jon.oman

I checked and the Safely Remove Hardware option setting is already turned on. But the icon doesn't show up in the task bar nor in the pop up box that appears when I click on the "^" symbol.
Have you tried toggling the setting? Turn the setting off, then on. Then reboot your computer. Might just be out of sync.

My understanding is that Safely Remove is no longer necessary in Win10. But I've read mixed options opinions on this, some of which came from Microsoft. In general, as long as I know I'm not accessing the device, I pull it without Windows permission.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My understanding is that Safely Remove is no longer necessary in Win10. But it can't hurt.
perhaps, but it seems like if one just unplugs the USB cable while data is being written or before the device is shut down, there could be data failures..... But again, I'm no techie.....

^^ Karen, read my edited post and for sure use the feature if it will put your mind at ease.

Here is a link that gives instructions to fix the Safely Remove problem. Just don't install the 'Restoro PC Repair Tool' they seem to be pushing. Those tools are not really needed, and I never trust them.

Anyway, I suggest using the instructions provided in step one. This assumes the simple toggle of the setting and reboot did not fix the problem.

Safely Remove Hardware Icon Disappears

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I never use one of those software capabilities; I always just remove the external device from the computer by removing the USB cable or whatever some of the old cables were. Never had any problems.
Very naughty.

The reality is that if you are really doing nothing with it and you are sure there are no cached writes to it then pulling it out without warning should be OK. But why risk it for the sake of two quick clicks?

For example I could be copying a 145GB Macrium backup file to it in the background, searching for a document on it using FileLocator Pro, and copying a bunch of photos off it onto my internal drive for processing. Now if I finished that last task and forgot the first one was running, I would corrupt the backup file I might later find I urgently need.

Best to follow the rules.

Now if I finished that last task and forgot the first one was running, I would corrupt the backup file I might later find I urgently need.
Perhaps the reason I haven't experienced any problems is that I never do two major tasks at the same time on the computer. Now that I think about why, I realize it's for four reasons:
  • I don't trust the computer to always do multitasking accurately (because it doesn't always do even one thing at a time accurately);
  • I'm never in such a hurry that getting one task done at a time is insufficient;
  • While a computer is doing something that might take awhile, I've always got something else to do away from the computer (such as sleeping, drinking a cup of hot chocolate, planning that night's supper, etc., etc.); and
  • The very few times I've had the computer do even two minor tasks at a time or to do two important tasks for only a short while, I've sensed (rightly or wrongly) that both tasks took longer to accomplish than if the computer had done them one at a time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom