Missing icons..... and Video card conflict....

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Perhaps the reason I haven't experienced any problems is that I never do two major tasks at the same time on the computer. Now that I think about why, I realize it's for four reasons:
  • I don't trust the computer to always do multitasking accurately (because it doesn't always do even one thing at a time accurately);
At this moment my computer is doing 110 things. Of those 7 are things that I directly want, the others are subsidiary to those.
It should be very happy doing lots of things. You should make yours work much harder, it sounds like it is slacking off and needs to be given a motivational kick.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Here is a link that gives instructions to fix the Safely Remove problem. Just don't install the 'Restoro PC Repair Tool' they seem to be pushing. Those tools are not really needed, and I never trust them.

Anyway, I suggest using the instructions provided in step one. This assumes the simple toggle of the setting and reboot did not fix the problem.

Safely Remove Hardware Icon Disappears
Had to time to work on this problem again. I did two things....really just one I guess! LOL!

1. I tried turning off the Taskbar bar setting for Windows Exposure - safely remove hardware. Signed off. Then signed on again. Then turned on the Taskbar setting for Windows Expsoure - safely remove hardware.

No joy.

2. I opened the command prompt and typed in:
RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

The proper window opens, but it did not show my phone I had connected to the PC as a test device.

I also tried creating a desktop shortcut, but of course since 1. above didn't work, the shortcut didn't list any devices on the PC either.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Ah, it is a phone.

Try plugging in something other than your phone, for example a USB memory stick or an external drive.
I bet you it then appears and works. I doubt there was anything wrong.

Plugging in a phone can involve different protocols where the Remove button doesn't appear.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Ah, it is a phone.

Try plugging in something other than your phone, for example a USB memory stick or an external drive.

Plugging in a phone can involve different protocols where the Remove button doesn't appear.
The problem originated when I had an external HD plugged. In the past, the phone would show up.... But hopefully you are right and now it will work! Thanks!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The problem originated when I had an external HD plugged. In the past, the phone would show up.... But hopefully you are right and now it will work! Thanks!
wooooHOOO! The external HD shows up in the Task bar - AND - the short cut I made! LOL!

And while the external HD is plugged in, I'll back up those new files.......!

Now on to my third problem......monitor calibration doesn't work. I'm betting it is a permissions issue. THAT will be another thread.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Ah, it is a phone.

The phone used to show up so I could safely disconnect it. Now it doesn't show up.

Since I last connected the phone to the pc and then simply disconnected the USB cable when I was finished, I have been getting the message:

"The device has either stopped responding or is disconnected"​

Today I needed to again connect the phone to the PC. I'm now finished. Is there something I should do before simply pulling the USB cable to the phone out of the PC?

The phone used to show up so I could safely disconnect it. Now it doesn't show up.

Since I last connected the phone to the pc and then simply disconnected the USB cable when I was finished, I have been getting the message:

Today I needed to again connect the phone to the PC. I'm now finished. Is there something I should do before simply pulling the USB cable to the phone out of the PC?
Ask Mike Buckley—he claims to live dangerously, and still survive! :D:D:D

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So....my phone rang, so I disconnected it from the PC to answer it. Now I get the recurring message....

I had opened two Explorer windows and copied 2 jpg images from the PC to my phone. At least 2 hours later is when I disconnected the phone.....

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You can just unplug the phone.
The message is telling the truth. Perhaps you still have Explorer open with the phone selected, so it is warning you it isn't there. If necessary close Explorer.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom