Missing pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Jun 26, 2005.

1. I've just come home from an event where I took about 200 pictures with my D70. I noticed during the shoot that the first 7 pictures I took were missing, even though I'd seen them on my LED after each shot. Then when I got home and downloaded all of the images to my computer, I found the last 5 shots I'd taken (and seen on the LED) were also not there. What's with that? This has never happened to me before, but my camera is new enough I'm not that familiar with things which might go wrong. Any one experienced this problem before?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gee Chris,

Sorry to hear that. I can only imagine it might be the CF card...

You format in camera after each shoot right.....

Might try some recovery software and see what it finds.

I dread the day that ever happens. eeeekkkk

3. I do not know if this helps but, if you switched between RAW and JPG during the shoot you may have multiple folders on your CF Card.

And then if that is not it. I would try some CF recovery software as Gale mentioned and probably reformat the card before the next use.

4. Thanks for the tips. I always reformat after downloading a card. The shots weren't all that important. Just don't understand where they went.

5. I had a similar problem:
    I filled a card and when I downloaded to the computer, 5 of the images (in the middle of the run of images) had thumbnails, but no readable image files. The rest of the images, both before and after were OK.
    I reformatted the card and it seemed OK. I rotate through 6 cards so I did not get back to this card for a while. I got 1000+ good images on the other cards.
    The next time I tried to fill that particular card, after about 50 good images, it did it again. This time after about 5 thumbnail only images I got the CHR error message and that the card could not be used.
    I called the card manufacturer and they gave me an RMA # to return the card for replacement. I sent it in last week and am awaiting the replacement.
    You might want to mark the offending card so you will know which one it is if you experience difficulty with it again.
    Bob

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You know you can run scandisk and defrag on those cards as well.. It is just a removable drive so to speak..

Might give you some answers.

7. Jerrold

Jerrold

May 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Perhaps you accidentally switched the camera off whilst it was writing. Kills them on my D1X...
    Are D70s intelligent enough to finish writing first?

Also do a search for a prog that recovers accidentally deleted files, might be worth a try. Maybe filesalvage (mac)

~Jerrold

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    The D70 will finish the one it's writing and kill the ones remaining in the buffer if it's switched off during a write.

9. I thought I had that problem recently until I realized I had set the download rules on the software to only download that days pics. Once I went back and changed it all was good again, DUH! CS Dayan

10. Just a follow-up.

This morning the Fed-Ex truck pulled up and dropped off a good-sized box. It was 12x18x4 inches. Inside was a slightly smaller box, and inside that box was a two large sheets of foam packing and inside that was a blister pack which contained the replacement CF card!
    I think they could have litterally driven the truck over it without damage!
    When I called for the RMA number, all they asked is if I had tried to reformat the card. I sent the bad card in a regular business size envelope, taped to a piece of heavy cardstock. Postage was 65 cents I think.

Bob