Mission San Juan Capistrano

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken-L, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm feeling so impotent :Depressed , not being able to use my camera, that I'll "cheat" and post these three shots from a visit to Mission San Juan Capistrano in August 2004. From my D70, not long after I got it, back then I was shooting JPEG only.

Mission Pond

49151397_11f1ebc12a_b.

Inside Father Junipera Sierra's Church

49151663_a314a1214f_b.

Courtyard Scene

49151801_276805f150_b.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW you must be feeling a bit better to post some images. Goooooood.

Now you really touched my fancy with the Water Lilys. One of my favorite subjects :>))

Colors in the second one are great. Nice shot.

Nice landscape, looks like somewhere I could enjoy and relax.

Thank You
    Keep getting better now. :>)))

3. It's amazing what you can do with jpegs, Ken. Nice shots. I went looking for something on my hard drive recently and it took me forever. (Got too many computers and hard drives!) You are fortunate to have some time to kickback and cherry pick a few like these. Get in there, guy. I bet you'll find a ton more!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks Gale, that room in the second shot must have been 120 degrees! It was a warm day, closed room, lots of candles....handheld, no flash but I had to rush the shot due to the heat, so it was just a lucky one.....

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks, Virginia, I find JPEGS to be okay, but I shoot RAW/JPG now just as "insurance" against my often stupid mistakes.

I have relatively few photos on my hard drive. I try to get rid of the ones that are not worth keeping. I also use Google's Picasa2 software if I'm "hunting" for a picture.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Ken,
    Simply marvelous images. The room, especially, is excellent!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken,
    I wish I could shoot jpg and raw.. D100 does not do it.

Could have saved my shuttle shots I think :<)(((

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks Jerry, I really appreciate your comments!

Ken

9. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Gale

I shoot RAW only on my D70. Then when I download, I use the batch process capability of the Bridge in PSCS2 to produce a jpeg using auto setting in ACR. These are saved to a completely different part of my drive. Then I do the first review on the jpegs, and that tells me what is worth working on and what should be thrown out immediately. The cherries are then processed at leisure from the RAW file. Laborious - yes, but I find the jpegs are much better quality than the "shadow" one produced in the RAW/jpeg mode. Basically I am doing the same thing on the computer that goes on in the camera, saving space on the card and processing time while shooting. With the new Bridge/ACR/batch capability I can do it all while reading a book, watching TV, cooking etc....

10. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Ken

Love the pictures, and that room was a bear. I did not get a single acceptable shot from the interior. A couple just barely survived, but only as culls not absolute rejects. Yours is a beaut. I will lay the odds you have some more keepers of the ruins?

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks Patrick, as I said it's probably because I had to "get ready, set, go" due to the awful heat in there that I got lucky - because I could only take that one shot, I was really concentrating on getting it right......and obviously the Saints were on my side that day.... here's the URL to the full size version of that scene - the details are amazing at full size even at ISO1600. http://static.flickr.com/25/49151663_a314a1214f_o.jpg

I do have some more "keepers"....always best to keep something in your back-pocket, eh? I'll post a couple more from the Mission and other shots from that excursion.....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005