Mississippi River - Memphis - May 04 2011

So just to ensure I got one photo from this historic level of water, I drove downtown and spent 10 minutes around 2pm. Had to get back to work.

I don't know how to do landscapes and such.

Saw this guy fishing. Actually catching fish. I wish he would have had a cane pole! Would have seemed like 1937 again.

Normally he would not been able to even cast 1/2 way to the water from where his is sitting on a sidewalk and fishing.

This isnt the actual river channel. It is on the other side of the land you see. It is an inlet where boats and such dock.

missriver%20-%20my%2004%202011_5533-bw-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aug 25 2012 - Sorry about being HDR. Time of Day...blah sky. I took one blast of 9 Exposure adjusted photos. We are not a the record low for the Mississippi River in Memphis, but very close. Thought it would be good to reference from the floods last year. Same spot. I thought the same angle, until I got home and looked at last years photo.

Mississippi-Drought-Stage-08-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
The PP definitely works for this shot. I really like your composition it leads the eye and gives a really good idea of the size of the river.

Andy - thanks for the comment. This water is actually not the river....but an inlet to a harbor. With all the flooding....the river was actually probably a few miles wide if you count the flooding on the Arkansas side of the river. In downtown Memphis there are a couple levels of bluffs normally. The first level was flooded....the second level is probably an additional....30 - 50 ft high.

Gary,

Once when the water goes back to normal levels, try to also capture the Mississippi from the same vantage point. We would then be able to see how much flooding really occurred!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom