missmatched eqipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scooptdoo

Anyone else here tirer of posts asking what el cheapo lenses to get with their d300,d700 or d3,s?Folks are consumed with mm coverage.They would do much better to get a basic 50mm fixed 1.8 lens and go from there. A variable aperture 18- whatever and the perinal coverall 70-300.
why hamsting a decent camera with a super coverage el cheapo!

I, and I'm sure countless others, never tire of giving advise and guidance to anyone who needs it.

By asking such questions I myself have learned from the experience of others. And just occasionally one has to "hamstring a decent camera" due to budgetary constraints.

Because you can still make absolutely stunning images with your so called "el cheapo, variable aperture" lenses.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

I have a D3 b/c I need the high ISO for gymnastics and "in house in New England winters" lighting. I'm not willing to lose the memories when the technology is available. I have 'serious glass' and I have 'el cheapo, variable aperture' glass. I use either as I see fit.

When juggling an active 3yr old and a 3mos old, hauling along lots of primes, or big heavy fixed aperture zooms is not always the intelligent thing to do. So I have my 'el cheapo' 28-105. I'm quite happy with the images it captured below. :smile:

100458051.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 230210

View attachment 230211

View attachment 230212

So far, my D3 hasn't imploded or died of embarassment. :tongue:

Its more about the six inches behind your camera than the six inches in front.

Gregory

Anyone else 'tirer' of 'missspelled' posts complaining about how other people choose to use their equipment?

Anyone else 'tirer' of 'missspelled' posts complaining about how other people choose to use their equipment?

Way cute!:biggrin:

Two solutions--use Firefox - it 'spell checks'; or for those who are Redmond-centric, there is an add-on called IE-Spell.

Anyone else here tirer of posts asking what el cheapo lenses to get with their d300,d700 or d3,s?Folks are consumed with mm coverage.They would do much better to get a basic 50mm fixed 1.8 lens and go from there. A variable aperture 18- whatever and the perinal coverall 70-300.
why hamsting a decent camera with a super coverage el cheapo!

I've got a bag full of them el cheapo lens , and a gallery full of images that was taken with them. Maybe you can show us a list of some of them primes you own , so we all can learn something today.

QUICK I gotta take off that 4 yr old 28-80 tamron kit lens off my D300 or it will self destruct.:biggrin:

Gotta love these "has to be the same brand as the camera" people. Friend is like that with his Canon. Wont buy anything for his camera unless it says Canon on it. Sits and drools over "L" glass and moans about how much they are and wants this one or that one. Wont even bother looking at Tamron or Sigma's equivelent. He's the same way with batteries. Never mind the Canon branded batteries probably are made by the same company that makes Digi-power, promaster, etc... He actually WAITED for the local camera shop to get more of teh Canon batteries for his camera.

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
He's the same way with batteries. Never mind the Canon branded batteries probably are made by the same company that makes Digi-power, promaster, etc... He actually WAITED for the local camera shop to get more of teh Canon batteries for his camera.

Actually I'm kinda peculiar about using OEM batteries in my expensive camera bodies too. Read this, and you may understand his and my position, and might even change your stance as well.

http://mobilemag.com/content/100/336/C4733/

*speaks up from the shoestring budget crowd*

trying to convince my new bride that i need to drop a few thousand on camera gear when i've neither proven my dedication or capability in the hobby is futile. so i've pieced together an aging d100, a new cheapo 18-55 kit, and an even older 50mm.

i'm sure that once i learn the mechanics, deliver results, and don't waiver from this hobby i'll have no problem convincing her as to why I need to spend $800 -$1200 on yet another prime lens. :)

I wood say thats if someone has a problem with a members sppelling or grammder, then yous has fogotten waht this fourum is far.

I know a man that writes phoneticaly, just like he speaks, and that is backwoods. he is a good phtographer and good at PS. It does not lesson his images at all.

Anyone else here tirer of posts asking what el cheapo lenses to get with their d300,d700 or d3,s?Folks are consumed with mm coverage.They would do much better to get a basic 50mm fixed 1.8 lens and go from there. A variable aperture 18- whatever and the perinal coverall 70-300. Why hamsting a decent camera with a super coverage el cheapo!

There are about 1800 reasons for not buying a 70-200/2.8, and about 1400 reasons for not buying a 17-55. Or 18/14 reasons if you count Bennies instead of Georges, but I don't see them Bennies so often. 6 Million dollar checks, yes, but that's a different story. :tongue:

There are different approaches to decide what you want. Buying a used D50 and putting superb glass on it is, from a pixel-peeping perspective, probably the most rational choice.
But: most forum members here, including author, are dilettantes who just want to enjoy your hobby. And just as for professionals a ford F150 pickup truck (used, dented) is good enough, the suburban dweller likes to have a cadillac truck, jacked up with vertical exhaust pipes and a wing on the back. Why? Because it's so much more fun!

Of course, after raiding your kids college fund for a good body there's no money left for lenses, so you'll need something cheap for the time being. And then over time you can get nice glass. Simple as that. :smile:

S

scooptdoo

I've got a bag full of them el cheapo lens , and a gallery full of images that was taken with them. Maybe you can show us a list of some of them primes you own , so we all can learn something today.

im not intrested in listing my photo gear like some boy scout sash full of merit badges for your entertainment or learning oportunity.i never said one needed brand named hi doller lenses.let me try another way.i feel one is better served by an inexpensive 1.8 50mm nikor or sigma 1.4 if you will than 18-70 and 70-300 c r a p. is that simpler to understand.
btw i never was good in spelling and grammerin school.but i do well enough to make 6 figures.

S

scooptdoo

I, and I'm sure countless others, never tire of giving advise and guidance to anyone who needs it.

By asking such questions I myself have learned from the experience of others. And just occasionally one has to "hamstring a decent camera" due to budgetary constraints.

you sir are a saint!

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
i feel one is better served by an inexpensive 1.8 50mm nikor or sigma 1.4 if you will than 18-70 and 70-300 c r a p.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. 50mm is a very limited focal range. Sure, it's a great normal lens. My 1.8 version makes super sharp photos, when it's the right focal length for the application I'm needing. But more times than not, I need a wider angle for creative perspectives or longer focal lengths for more reach as shown below. Please explain how a 50mm could have created these shots, which were all taken with the 18-200VR variable aperture c r a p lens.

original.jpg

original.gif

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

This lens, while not as sharp as my Nikkor 17-55/2.8, Nikkor 85/1.4 or Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR, rarely lets me down when I need a convenient walk around lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom