Misty autumn morning

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Frits, Nov 4, 2005.

1. One more of this wonderful season.
    Can't you just smell the misty autumn morning aroma???

Frits

2. Yes I can, I know the excact smell and feel you are talkign about... only bad thing is I can smell winter in the future also!

3. oh this is a really cool photo!! The reds are so vivid against the subdued background. I like the composition very much -- I see 3 triangles there -- the leftmost one is all misty -- nice. Question for you: I tend to have some problems blowing out reds with my D2X. Getting a bit better with it now, but sometimes even when I use Low Contrast I sometimes blow the reds. Do you have any special approach to these vivid reds?? What was your colour space in this photo? Any hue/contrast tweaks? Did you shoot this as NEF or jpeg?? Thank you.

4. You conveyed the feeling perfectly, great shot.

5. I smell 'chilly'! Nice shot Frits!!

6. Thank you Andrea!
    No special approach. I use the D1x with everything neutral in the camera. I shoot exclusively in RAW in the adobeRGB colorspace. Postprocessing in Capture is minimal. Just some minor curves tweaking. The originals look pretty good (17MB TIFF's vs. ~150K webversion).

Another comment: I believe that proper exposure is the basis of a picture that will show nicely saturated, contrasty colors. If that basis is not there, it will never look as good. Your histogram will be a valuable tool to evaluate this.

One way to make fall colors "pop" is by using a (circular) polarizer. Here is a shot with the polarizer, with the same minimal post processing:

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Beautiful shot, really conveys the mood. I love the composition and colors, which I don't get to see that often.

8. WOW Fritz, Ilove the fall colors in the second picture. The first one is really nice too.

Thanks for sharing.

9. Thanks for the pointers Frits !!

Appreciate it!! Recently I started RAW exclusively and do seem to note that I'm getting better results all round. I'm still unsure of the colour space thing and have only used Adobe sporadically. Thanks again !!

10. Andrea,
    Following your post where you say you're unsure, allow me to follow up some (without too much detail):

The two principle working colour spaces are sRGB and adobeRGB. As you probably know, the advantage of adobeRGB is its larger gamut (color range, so to speak). I like it for that, particularly the greens.
    HOWEVER, be sure that if you produce your images in adobeRGB, that you interpret them in that colour space as well (viewing and printing). A number of image viewing software is not "color savvy". It does not (seamlessly) display in the appropriate colour space and often defaults in sRGB (a number of packages could not display in adobeRGB at all, let alone seamlessly). The same goes for the internet: it represents colour in sRGB by default (there is a complex way around that, but that is quite the other story).
    The result of viewing images that are in adobeRGB in an sRGB environment is that they will show to be very dull (therefore you need to convert adobeRGB images to sRGB prior to posting them on the Web, for example). For printing you need to be sure also that you address that the image is in the adobeRGB colour space. If not, you guessed it: dull prints.
    SOoooo.....be sure that you know how to work with your adobeRGB images (and they will look great - on screen and in print). If unsure, stick to sRGB.

(BTW, here are some more from a recent post: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55242 ).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Colorful pictures Frits, the circular polariser is very useful to take away those reflections off the leaves that hide the colors, but the angle and orientation to the sun is also very important to make the colors look very vibrant.