Misty mood shot - which one?

Great Light and Mist

I like #1. The early light breaking through the mist is always evocative to me. Took me right into my canoe on a early morning paddle. Thanks.

I was speaking with Jim Thiel tonight and he mentioned this thread, which I had not yet looked at. So over I pop, and while I like #1 better than #2, I also agree with both Hula Mike and the Gonzo Bernelli fellow, obviously both folks of very good taste. So, here are my "feeble brain" thoughts.

On #2, there is no context, for me, to explain the "mist" so the mood is lost. In #1, the water keeps dragging my eyes away from both the moodiness AND the bird. So, I did a "browser crop" by moving the browser window down to a bit under the birds foot, then moved it right to cut out most of the bright spot of the rock and to get the bird to right of center, and for me, this becomes a mist-moody-cool-looking-birdy shot :smile:

Then again, I only know what I like, so feel free to take this with as many grains of salt as required :wink:

Interesting Bill, so no water? And the bird would be in the lower right of the photo? I really appreciate all the discussion and comments. I've recropped the photo several times and can't pick one over the other, although I like it better with more of the environment in it. If anyone's curious, here's the uncropped photo. Thanks everybody, very much.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting Bill, so no water? And the bird would be in the lower right of the photo? I really appreciate all the discussion and comments.
Yup! For me, the brightness of the water in the lower left kept pulling my eyes down to the lower left, and as much as I wanted to, I kept losing the "moody" part. One, of the many MANY things, I have learned around here is just how subjective these issues are. And, in my opinion, any one of us who tells you the "right" way is, well, simply spouting an opinion, just like I am :biggrin:. But, in this effort of trying to understand, I have also learned a lot about how the eye is drawn to bright spots in the image, and once I realized that, I found it was pretty correct for me. So, I looked at your image, saw the mist, mood, bird and water, and for me the mist, mood and bird won.

Now, with the last image you posted, my preference is different. I would still crop out a fair bit of water on the bottom, but only up to just below the rocks. And I'd still strip off some of the right, turning it into even more of a vertical, maybe drop a small bit off the top. But when I look at it, the rock which is now upper left leads me down and to the right through the mist to the bird and the brightness of the mist keeps me there.

And you can blame all this on the kind folks at the Cafe, who have convinced me to look at the whole image, not just the bit I think was "important".

1st one for me, lovely shot! I'd actually really like the un-cropped shot if the bird was more to the right of frame. Lovely stuff though :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom