Mixed bag (3 pics)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Aug 4, 2008.

1. My daughter and I spent a few hours at Hidden Pond Park, which is quite close to where I live. Great time, and I found a place to photograph dragons! They were everywhere, but with a 7 year in tow, and wrong equipment (105VR and 14-24) it was not my time. One of these was taken with the 14-24... Guesses?

1) Dragon (My First!!!, heavy crop) f8, 1/400

8408pond3-vi.jpg

2) Toad f2.8, 1/20

8408pond4-vi.jpg

3) Monarch f3.2, 1/1250

8408pond5-vi.jpg

2. Of the 3, I love the butterfly shot the best. All are gorgeous. Excellent shots Rich.

God Bless,
    David

3. Beautiful work Rich.....

4. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Beautiful Rich. Love the frog, and the butterfly is gorgeous. Congrats on the first dragon!

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    The bokeh is just great. Seems like you have fun with the D700. My guess is that the first one is with the 14-24 (12-24?). Beautiful shots. The toad shot is my favorite.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  6. Very nice series, Rich!
    Like the toad the best!

7. I also vote for the toad - almost looks like a sculpture.

Cheers

8. the butterfly is my favorite
    the frog is very cute as well

nice shots... even with the "wrong" lenses :smile:

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I love that toad, as somebody noted above it does look almost like a model or toy.

Looks like you had lovely day out shooting with your daughter anyway.

10. Hi All, thanks for the great comments, it was a great day with my daughter, not my best shooting day, but sometimes that just doesn't matter. As for the one shot taken with the 14-24, it is the frog! And that frog was inside an aquarium. Someone must have just washed the glass....

11. The butterfly is an awesome shot, I would have a large print of that one. How is the ISO on the 700, does it equal the 300 in dim light?

12. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    No Question the butterfly is the best of the three, I would think the first was taken with the 14-24

13. Hi Tom, thanks for the kind words. High ISO is pretty incredible in my limited experience to date. Not exactly dim light, but 105VR @1/10 sec @6400 ISO.

822008elsabw-vi.jpg

Tony, thanks for the kind comment. The frog was actually taken with the 14-24. I kid you not! :smile:

14. Rich - Really a nice series. I think my favorite is the frog. (Your cat image is special as well.) You are getting along famously with your D700!